I Forge Iron

First gas forge

Damascus Mike

thanx but mine has to be practical to make and it must have a small gas cylander,i dont know what fitting i need for it to prevent flash backs and those things where the flame sucks up the gas pipes and into the bottle.im hoping i can built it from a camping gas bottle(that very small bottle that powers some camping lights and also is used for heating cofee water.id post a pic but i dont know how.

Edited by Damascus Mike

One run off a propane torch---just get one of them and look up "micro forge" or "single firebrick forge" or "Bean Can Forge"

And DM. Propane can't burn without O2 and so it can't suck flame back into the bottle.

Now Acetylene can disassociate even without O2 and so that's a problem *and* is generally used with a pure O2 source at a higher pressure to the acetylene that is another problem. So acetylene systems NEED FLASHBACK ARRESTORS; propane doesn't.

Depending on what you want to do you may find some inspiration in this.

My first forge was a circle of fireplace bricks stacked up in a circle with a hair dryer for an air supply. I used charoal bricquetts for fuel but later learned that charcoal is a better choice.My anvil was a piece of 3/4 inch picked up on the road side.

Mike, your gonna need a bigger bottle if you want to do much welding. As you draw the gas from the bottle it gets colder, then freezes up, then ya burner stops burning!

I use a 100lb bottle, and can get that iced up in a couple of hours on a forge that I weld smallish billets in. Your going to have to do some serious reading up if your going to be making stacked billets with any success mate.

You have certainly left me with the impression that you were and absolute beginner with no resources.

Many of us here have been forging for a long time. Most would say they are still learning hammer control. Mr Hofi is still teaching smiths with 20 years at the anvil how to hammer.

Mike,

The issue isn't wanting to learn, you will find some of the most helpful people here on Iforge, we don't hide "forging secrets" or anything like that. The issue is you bouncing around from coffee makers, to forges, to presses. You make the statement here that you already have an anvil, and know "hammer control very well" yet you post a thread asking if we have any threads on hammer control? We are getting confused. Most of us are giving you free of charge lessons that we learned at cost to us, take this free advice!

You are talking to blacksmiths with years of experience, in some cases Decades. Slow down and read.

I would suggest taking a week off from posting, look at the threads that others have suggested and take their advice.

The idea of using the small LP tanks may be good for the initial price, but saving your cash and getting a bigger tank would help in the long run. At around $3 a piece, you could get a big tank in short order.

If you need assistance, feel free to ask. But if you "bite the hand that feeds you" be prepared to get smacked with the newspaper....

Edited by unkle spike

is there a problem with wanting to know more Steve???

No but there is a problem when you try to get the membership to jump through hoops for you like a pack of trained dogs.

Wanting to learn is great, but your attitude of posting, then refusing to listen to the reply's are getting to be a pain. and some of your comments both private and public, are very insolent.

can anybody with a small gas forge that is run by a small camping propane tank please send me pics because i wanna get ideas for my one thanx DM

Mike, your original question has been answered, BP0192 Gas Forge, look up "micro forge" or "single firebrick forge" or "Bean Can Forge". Your follow up question concerning the bottle size was answered, your gonna need a bigger bottle. Your comment about not having money available for the cost of the gas forge was answered, try starting small with charcoal and a piece of heavy scrap for an anvil, and my first forge was a circle of fireplace bricks stacked up in a circle with a hair dryer for an air supply. I used charcoal briquettes for fuel.

ive got an anvil already and i know hammer control very well
This comment is a bit confusing to us as it was addressed and answered in another post on this forum, Hammer control. You were referred to how-to tutorials by Jim (paw paw) Wilson, Brian Brazeal, and Uri Hofi, all great references on the subject. Your next comment was *well i know how to use a hammer very well but i still wanna know MORE*

From your Hammer control thread, do your self a favor and slow down and get the basics down.
well u see i would do all those steps but my tutor is way to lazy to teach me properly.
This is rather upsetting for a couple of reasons, first you feel, think, realize, that your present tutor is NOT providing you with good or proper information.

You came to IForgeIron where there are CENTURIES of accumulated experience and some of the best tutors in the world and did not fully utilize the information they provide by going to the resources and references they suggest and reading the material presented for understanding and comprehension.

I feel we have done out part. We have tried to assist you in all ways, tried to answer your questions and follow-up comments. IF you truly wish to learn about blacksmithing, may I strongly suggest that you review all of 18 threads (questions) and read the 150 posts you have made in the 2 months since you joined the site.

Forge weld flux
Heet
First gas forge

Hammer control
Self operated press blue prints
Alcoline as a flux

Wierdly strong metal
Knife and handle
Local 20 mule team borax in new zealand

Crucibles
Blueprints
Begining blacksmithing :)

Forge welding
Biziloid
Forge housing

Forge blower
Etching
Home made belt sander

I will close this thread as your question has been answered. If your other threads show a lack of respect for the time invested and resources provided by the members of this site, they will be closed also. It is not fair to those folks that are trying to help.