I Forge Iron

My Attempt at Scrolling Plyers.

Thanks everybody.. I had so much fun, I'm thinking of making another pair today.. But before I do that I'm going to try again to forge weld.

Tinbender If you need help with picture's or anything on here.just hollor be glad to help you out.. and if I ain't availible.someone else will help..

Tong Day myself here, am working on "sets" of different size ones. Presently I am on box jaw tongs for flat stock. I don't put much "spit and polish" into mine, just utilitarian tools, not a work of art.

Yours look real good Tom, they always need some hot tweaking to get them to fit just right.

One trick I learned at our guild: When you set the rivet, while they are still pretty warm, dunk them in the quench tank and work them, seems to set the rivet to the right tension. Yes I know some say never quench hot tongs it makes them weak, have only had one set I made fail, and that was because I got them too thin at the jaw joint.

Edited by unkle spike

Tom, good job on the tong/pliers.
The great thing about making your own is that you can 'tweak' them any time you want to (if they need it).
And yes.....I have tongs that I've made that have been 'tweaked' many times over the years.
I wind up using mine for pickup tongs more often than for actual scrolling.
they're handy for chasing small rivets and other small pieces down through the fire.
James

Thanks James . Yea I was going to try and do some forge welding, but the bee's hive wasn't working out. or I just got in to big of a hurry, I dug it out and the fire just wasn't right. after fooling with it for a good while I said the heck with it and started making another pair of plyers. I got them started then the wife lets me know easter diinner was ready so I closed her down.. I reckon we'll be back at it when I get in off the road. Sure had some fun... Happy easter Boy's...