I Forge Iron

Wood fire welding

triw

Hey Damascus Mike you do not need to melt steel to make cable damacus. the way I learned is:
Step one - weld or tie the ends of the cable so the strands will not unravel, weld to a rod for a handle.
Step two - heat to red hot and add flux (I use borax) return to forge and when it is at a welding heat twist the cable tighter.
Step three - return to forge and when at welding heat weld the cable into a bar by hitting firm but not overly hard. You want to weld the strands togeather not flatten it. When the cable is solid you have a billet to forge into your knife blade, you might need more than one welding heat to do this.
Any comments for the other cable welders?

If you can't get to that heat, you can't do it. So your first quest is to get the forge together that you need. Maybe you are putting the cart before the horse. Once you have the billet you will need to work it and if you are making damascus you will need to forge weld it more than just once. So you will also need hammer skills. I am not sure how much experience you have, but if you don't have a lot start with something a little easier. Make some knives from different types of steel, look in on the knife making forum on this site. You will have a lot of fun working your way up to a cable knife. enjoy, kevin

well today i just finished my forge and i just need to put a cap on the bottom of the ash chamber and then im totally done but aparently the way ive made it, it can melt metal easily.i just need a recipe` for making fire cement or somthing to put a layer on the bottom of the truck rim to stop it from burning.

There is a video on youtube, probably by purgatory ironworks, that explains using wood as fuel - basically you build you fire with lots of small pieces so that it turns to charcoal in the forge.

Yes you can forge weld with charcoal - it is the traditional forge fuel.

Wood Fire Forging isn't! What you are doing is forging with charcoal and making it on the spot. Unfortunately you are not making it very efficiently and you get all the joys of both heat and smoke of the fire on you.

If you get a deep enough pile of charcoal you can weld with it; period.

I'm sure that somewhere in New Zealand there is borax or a blacksmith association that can help you out in finding some or an alternative to it as a welding flux. It does not have to be 20 Mule Team brand borax for it to work as a flux. Try getting to a welding supply house and see if they have a can of brazing flux and try that if you can't find any thing else to use.

oh ok i see now.but my bigest problem is flux.im in new zealand and there isnt anything in the laundry area called 20 mule team borax

Failing all else look around for potters. Anhydrous borax is one of the many ingredients used in making glazes. They can point you in a direction.

The potters have lots of good stuff. Ceramic blanket, soft firebricks, anhydrous borax, fluorspar if you want an even more aggressive flux than borax, iron oxide if you want to try homebrewing iron and steel, grogs and clays if you're interested in homemade refractories and/or making crucibles, etc.

I have an idea -- I haven't done the research -- that potters were probably the first iron smelters, albeit accidentally. Which, if true, sorta makes 'em our direct ancestors. :)

Anyway, yes, always keep pottery suppliers in mind when you're looking for some of the harder-to-find stuff.

When I first started trying to forge weld I used very fine sand that was a hit miss thing but in thoses days I only had hard coal. Not knowing of soft coal or charcoal. I did mannage to take a cable and electric weld the ends. Then I heated it up and un twisted it a bit to get flux in deep twisted it back, then kept heating it and tightening the twist till I was afraid it would break. Fluxed it again and slowly brought it up to temp just before it started sparking bright yellow not molten pulled it out and welded it. moving it and working it at welding temp until I had a solid block.
I had a few letter openers and knives from this and it ecthed well. if you get the cable down good try a box of paper clips makes a great demo:)
Remember that the cable should be clean of grease and oil before you heat and flux.

Firegnome

if you get the cable down good try a box of paper clips makes a great demo:)
Remember that the cable should be clean of grease and oil before you heat and flux.

Firegnome

sounds like fun. How do you weld a box of paperclips though? is it in a can?