I Forge Iron

how to make a blower

new guy

Some ideas to consider,

Vacuum cleaner- even if it doesn't have a blow setting. Put it in a box with a pipe leading from it.

I have got the motor and fan from an old hover mower on stand by for future forges.

You will have discoved that charcoal doesn't need much air - Im running my small diy forge off my big old belt driven compressor, I can get yellow hot, but you will need it much hotter for forge welding.

Also could get a blower form a scrap car place.

To match the speed from an electric motor without killing yourself you will need a step-up system -- gears and/or pulleys. The exact ratios and speeds will depend on what you have on hand and what your needs are. I have heard about old push-bikes being used to good effect and that makes a lot of sense -- a pre-made adjustable step-up chain-driven gearing designed for long use in harsh conditions.

12VDC blowers (e.g. from a car) can be run from a battery. Economically this should be rechargeable.

If you're burning anthracite coal or metallurgical coke think very carefully about hand-crank; these fuels tend to need a constant blast or will go out.

Why not just put the extension cord away when you're not smithing? Surely your MIL won't mind an extension cord when she's okay with burning coal and hammering on steel?

Edited by matt87

my forge is making things for her, IE a fence and other bits for the house. she thinks that if i can heat steel to hammer it is good enough. also, i just think a crank would be better because i am burnig wood charcoal made on site in the forge. so the hand crank would work, i think.

the first link is precisley what i want to make! that looks perfect for me. i think an old fan assembley off a leafblwer bolt on a handle (made by me of course :)) and attached to a pipe driven into the ground. that sound like a good poratable idea?

the first link is precisley what i want to make! that looks perfect for me. i think an old fan assembley off a leafblwer bolt on a handle (made by me of course :)) and attached to a pipe driven into the ground. that sound like a good poratable idea?

Unless you can turn a handle at 3,000 RPM (that's 5 times a second) you'll need to add a gearing or pulley system.

Your mother-in-law's OK with a hole in her lawn but won't let you trail an extension cable across it for a few hours?

Good point, Tom. If an auto-type heater blower breaks you don't fix it, you go to the junkyard / auto parts store and buy another / new one. Automotive blowers run a looooong time. They got most of the bugs worked out of them by now :D If the battery goes dead; recharge it ;)

Edited by Dodge