I Forge Iron

rr spike axe

Why aren't you ready for welding, I learnt forge welding on my beginners course with Steve Hopps and Peat Oberon also teaches it almost at the start of his beginners course. If you can get metal hot enough give it a go its the only way you'll learn.

Do you have an old hair dryer? Yes, you say... then you have a blower.
Just hook it to a section of steel pipe. With a little practice and experimentation you will be able to forge weld.

Use RR spike for the first one...Practice, then use the better steel once you get the hang of it, just a thought.

Be very careful grinding on bolts, anything but black (oil finished) are plated, the least dangerous being zinc. The pretty gold ones are chrome over cadmium plated and the dust from grinding and oxides from heating are extremely toxic and carcinogenic.

Stay away from plated steel.

Frosty

to frosty: i filed off the finish and swept up the waste and threw it away. i used a hand file so as to not get it airosolized. and plated steel is something the whole family has warned me about. i am half way through the throwing tomahawk today. although i got a nasty burn/cut when i hit my knuckle on the threads of a bolt when i was hammering it to shape to make a punch.
Note to self: don't miss with a hammer.
New guy Jr.

I hope you wore a mask and gloves while you were forging, filing and sweeping.

I know I seem to be coming down pretty hard on you but this stuff is DANGEROUS. Not just plating, all of it. Everything we do is hot, hard, heavy, sharp and dangerous. Things you get away with tens of thousands of times can take you right out. Just because you get away with something once or thousands of times doesn't mean it's alright. Believe me, I'm still recovering from a fall I took two years ago last September. I slipped doing something I'd done a zillion times and I'm still paying. Will pay the rest of my life for not doing it right.

How about this. Before you jump into something you've never done ask us first. I can guarantee you aren't going to like the answer very time, heck maybe most of the time but you won't be diving into shallow water without knowing first.

Frosty

Check out the information given on heavy metals in the stickies. Paw Paw Wilson was a very experienced and well known smith who died from complications of heavy metal poisoning. I DEEPLY regret that I never met him for I have found the things he wrote to be truly inspiring to me as I was learning to blacksmith. Please don't become the fondly remembered New Guy.
Finnr

the whole part about dying is low on my to-do list. and due to house rules the mask and gloves are standard clothing if i work. i don't have a choice. also frosty i know what you mean about paying for your mistakes. i blew my knee out in 7th grade and am still paying for it as a freshman in highschool. and i have read up on the dangers and do what i can to be protected. ANd Rob G. the shovel was being lazy. i used to use a folding camp chair! still though it is a pain in the but.

hey new guy i used a torn apart sweeper for a blower in my forge
it even has a on/off switch
it also took a little duct tape to mend some holes but hey it was a freebie and it worked
try the local goodwill salvation army or just a thrift store for a old sweeper
happy hammering

Edited by steve sells
language edited

i found a shop vac today and it is amazing! i got to forging heat in 5 minutes and was able to heat metal to a red heat vivisble in broad daylight. also i now am only a step away from a ligiamate smithy. now i just need to make tongs and some hardy tools.

I saw in one of your earlier post you said you had a surplus of rr spikes. Look on the head of the spike to see if it has "HC" marked on it. The "HC" stands for high carbon. It has enough points of carbon to harden and take an edge. While there is definitely better steals to use, this is as good of place to start as any since you have them in surplus. You can also make knives from these spikes as well. Good luck and hope this helps

We try to keep factual here, Bigwill. This has been covered many times in the forums, and our sticky's here. In summary, there is 30 points of carbon at best to a HC rr spike, they will never get hard enough to make a good blade, the edge will never hold up to much use, they are merely a novelty. the HC is a relative term.

Welcome aboard Will, glad to have you.

I won't repeat what Steve said but will confirm it. Letter openers and novelties is about it for them. Good practice though.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know you're there they can tip you to get togethers, tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

yeah i have to agree with frosty. the spike knives i am making as throwing axes for my boy scout troops hatchet throwing. they are going to be used by some 6th to 9th graders. i am hands down the oldest to use them (15) and they need to be soft so they don't shatter or chip if they hit a rock. and they do make good practice thingimigummies.

wait on a previous post frosty, you said that everything we smiths use is either hot heavy sharp or dangerous. i disagree on only have a 110lb anvil set up and a 3 and 4lb hammer, plus a vise grip saftey glasses an apron and welding gloves. none of the above is all that heavy. you know just a thought. :)

wait on a previous post frosty, you said that everything we smiths use is either hot heavy sharp or dangerous. i disagree on only have a 110lb anvil set up and a 3 and 4lb hammer, plus a vise grip saftey glasses an apron and welding gloves. none of the above is all that heavy. you know just a thought. :)

ha ! tell that to your foot when you drop the 110 lb anvil on it!!!!