I Forge Iron

Propane Forges

frankcertmdt

Gentleman,

I am currently exploring the purchase of a propane forge for general blacksmithing. Does anyone have experience/exposure to the Forgemaster two burner blacksmithing forge? In particular is it worth the money, and how long does it take to reach forging temperature, and will it truly reach forge welding heat? Any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Frank W.

Welcome aboard Frank, glad to have ya.

The opinions you request will be coming shortly I'm sure. I can't tell you, I build my own.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll be more helpful. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and info can be location specific. It also lets guys in your area know you're there so they can invite you to get togethers, tip you to tool deals and lend a hand directly.

Frosty

I have never used a forgemaster, but I would highly recommend a http://www.diamondbackironworks.com forge. Worth the money, low-medium cost. Super efficient, even more if you get a idler valve. But from what I've heard about forgemasters is that they are a very good brand as well. Good Luck, hopefully someone who has used one will comment on it for you.

Haven't used a forgemaster either, but I personally use a Valley Hot Box Magnum. It's a nice size, reaches welding temp very quickly, plus I have it mounted on four removable 1in. x 4ft. square tube legs at a slight outward angle which makes it nice when I decide to take it somewhere else and may not have the benefit of perfectly level ground on which to setup, plus puts it at a great working height in the shop. Back pass through is a must for me and my only complaint is the lack of a front door to keep the wind out.. however that's completely negated by placing a few tool steel billets on the front work ledge. Of course this isn't much of a problem when I'm indoors.. :)

I have two of the forgemaster forges. One in my shop and the other in my shoeing rig.

Both are over 10 years old.
I don't think the igniter worked from the get-go, but everything else has been very satisfactory.

They are quite economical to run, get hot quickly (10 minutes) and reach more than an adequate welding temperature.

The corrugated floor allows for the heat to circulate under the heated material.

I heat up to 1 1/2 square bar in this forge with no problem.

I have a Chili Forge Cayenne. Cost about $800 with shipping. It beats the pants off my old NC Forge Whisper Daddy. Efficient, hot, easy. Ceramic lining over the Kayowool except in the roof so less worry about carcinogenic dust. Each burner (has 2) has it's own valve so they can be run independently. Sorry to sound like an add, but I'd buy another in a heartbeat. They do make smaller stuff for less $.

I built my own aswell. If you have access to materials and tools, I would recomend it. It is a great way to learn. I think I spent between $150 and $200 on mine by the time I was done. It is a small single burner, but it works great and I can weld in it no problem.

Just something to consider.

Adam

I'm with frosty & tech413, I build my own. If you have the time and tools, you can build a really good one for WAY less than others sell for. But if you just want to get smith'n, I recomend a Chili forge too. They get good and hot and have good adjustments and features.

I have a habenero chilli forge. 2 burners...only use 1 most of the time....had it 2 yrs and shows no worse for wear....welds with 1 burner no probs...prolly takes 5-10 mins to heat up....but its a nice day i am using coal today outside....There are good reasons to use the coal even tho its wayyyyy dirtier....they r very good people to work with also...thats all he makes and he does good. I didnt build my own cause I didnt know what to do....now i think i would build my own....

Edited by fat pete

• 1 month later...

Mark,

1 1/2 square stock capability, economical to operate, and longevity. That is what I needed to hear. I have flirted with the Chili Forge as well, but felt that the forgemaster has the potential for greater durability over time with less maintenance.

Thank you Sir,
Frank