I Forge Iron

if you had a lathe what would you do?

hdwarner

A lathe is the only machine tool capable of reproducing itself; it can do all the required machining operations. A lathe can do turning, milling, drilling, threading, shaping, grinding operations, etc. and also do metal spinning.

Materials machined can be metals (ferrous and nonferrous), plastics, wood, and most any other material desired. A lathes limitations are only tooling and operator influenced. What can be made is only limited by the users imagination.

I have though of a pattern welded bunper for my truck before and having seen pictures of pattern welded billets weighing over a ton it's not that far out.

I owe my wife a pattern welded pizza cutter for Christmas this year as she like the one I traded away last year so much.

I'm also working slowly on a pattern welded spangen help---on hold the last couple of years waiting for me to get my triphammer running again.

Thomas

To reiterate: "What would you make if you had a lathe?"

Best answer I think should be ----

More room in shop so you could then put a milling machine in there too. LOL

Machine shop equipment is worse than blacksmithing tools in regards to the more you have, the more you want.... first you want a machine then it is on to bigger sizes for bigger machining capacity and other machine types for more versatility. Let's not forget that the machines then need tool holders, tooling, and workpiece holding devises. But then if you have the right machines, tooling, etc. even those can be made.

Have fun! BE safe!

• 4 weeks later...

The tooling is everything. My brother has a Smithy and My Craftsman and his big problem is either finding the money to buy the tools he needs, or finding the time to make them. As he gets the tooling, he is able to do more.

I prefer working with wood and am just now learning to make my own tools to make my work easier and give me more options on things I can do..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have always wanted a metal lathe. They are a little pricey. I just never seem to have the extra room to put a decent lathe.
I would use it for revamping bushings and bearing surfaces for the old machinery I have. I would do more engine work.

I have always wanted to types of lathes:

I want to one day build a treadle wood lathe. I have seen a few around and just think they are cool.

I also always thought it would be cool to have a small bench lathe where I could forge up some damascus billets and turn out rings.

I still have no lathes, and never made damascus....but it is on the list.

Peyton

I used my HF Mini to turn the crown and shoulder on the rollers for my grinder. Friend in Maintenance dept where I used to work did the recess for the bearings. I also had to turn an arbor for the rollers to turn on because the chuck I have doesn't open large enough or do I.D. chucking small enough. Pic shows finished product and raw stock which was 3" x 3" with 3/4 walls.

12334.attach