I Forge Iron

if you had a lathe what would you do?

hdwarner

I already have one of the first Shop Smith combo tools which is a lathe, table saw, disk sander, horizontal boring machine plus it also tilts up to use as a drill press.
This machine is designed for wood, and don't think it would do too well to turn metal.

If I had a nice metal lathe I would make small cannons such as little ones for a desktop and most certainly larger swivel gun size ones for firing off and repelling boarders :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I acquired a fixer-upper last weekend. It has a lot more missing or broken parts than I knew about when I acquired it. Fortunately I did not pay much for it. Apparently the lady's uncle (who inherited his father's pristine South Bend lathe) "modernized" it by removing lots of parts and even breaking off a lever, then sticking a pulley wheel on the end of the lathe. Apparently it was a very nice lathe before this guy inherited it.

The uncle deserves to have the location of his grave posted to the Internet so that every metal worker within driving distance can visit and xxxx on his grave.

I have sent for a bunch of parts to fix this lathe and try to get it running again. Not the cost effective way of getting a working lathe, but I look at it as a learning experience, and a way of acquiring a lathe on the installment plan as I can afford it.

Just my opinion,
Live long and prosper, may La Forge be with you. (come on guys, a Star Trek character named "The Forge") I don't hear the laughter. :D
Dave E.

17970.attach

Edited by Glenn

I have a nice 3way machine. I know first thought is HF. Check out Shoptask. ....Ken

I went to their website.

1. I did not see any used machines.
2. Their website performed that trick that prevents the viewer from pressing the "back" button to return to the previous website or search page. Personally, I don't patronize companies that execute code to alter what I can do with my web browsing and/or make their site "sticky".

Just my thought and opinion. Edited by UnicornForge

I just started my pre-employment course for a machinist, the lathe is by far my favorite machine to run, so cool. If we were allowed I would make a little blackpowder cannon, and really make it fancy. So far I've made a plumb bob and a step shaft.

I would first read "The Artillerist Manual" available free online at The Artillery Reserve it might save your life! They stopped putting decorations on cannon barrels because the decorations made the canon barrels even more likely to blow up. :(

• 2 weeks later...
melonkernel: Hate to rain on your parade, but that's not a CNC lathe. It's VMC or CNC vertical milling machine.

oops. Well, then i would want one of those ;)

[edit] Actually, i though i heard lathe at 0:41 in the video, but it was "computer guided blades", i think.
p.s. lathe is an english word i have come into contact with anywhere else than here, so i have not heard anyone pronounce it. My guess is that i rhymes with blade. but then again there are exceptions to everyting and I could be wrong. Edited by melonkernel

Lathe: rhymes with the verb "bathe". Yes I have a "Vertical Machining Center" (nyaa!:P:)). And they are very cool, but I don't do anything like that.

A "nordic brother"! I'm Norsk, can you tell (square head give me away)?

Edited by nakedanvil