I Forge Iron

Claw for holding crystal or glass ball

Hi everyone! 

Just getting back into the hobby again and was thing of a couple projects I'd like to do.

i love beachcombing and pickin up cool stones. Thought it would be neat to forge something that holds them. Think claw feet with glass balls sort of thing. I can't find an image or YouTube video on the subject anywhere!

just looking for some ideas to get my thinker thinking.

Welcome aboard Tony, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

How about a dragon or eagle talon holding the stone, globe, etc.? Take a look around for D&D or fantasy sites for inspiration. It's a common theme for crystal balls and such mystical scrying orbs. There is also a lot of claw foot furniture from days gone by.

Frosty The Lucky.

Awesome replies. Thanks! I'm in Sooke.

ive seen a lot of the claw foot furniture stuff, that's sort of what I'm looking for but I can't find a picture of something *forged* like that. 

My forge welding is totally unknown as the last time I did one was 15+ years ago ;)

So I'm hoping to find one thing on the super easy side of the spectrum ;)

I really like those cylinders of stones. Might be a great garden accent since I can't stop picking up cool stones from the beach ;)

Sheet metal: cut out the claws on the flat and then forge them into hollow round and bend them and then forge the base into hollow round with them projecting?  Or take a piece of pipe and slit it across 2 or 3 times and bend out the flaps and then forge them 1 by 1 into the claws and then bend them around the object...

This video was made by John Bennett, an awesome smith who has a few great videos on youtube (I hope he doesn't mind my sharing the link), and I think it has what you're looking for. 
I loved this method, and it can also be used on bottle openers, key chains, or anything else you can think up!
(Post pictures, we love sharing and "borrowing" ideas!)