jester

Stainless steel domestic range hood a good start for a forge hood?

5 posts in this topic

I people of the blacksmithing type :)

I have a random question that I couldn't find on the forums at all. (apologies if it is around - my search skills failed).

Currently putting together my coke forge to be used inside my purpose build shed, however, I need to put in a chimney and hood.

I have a second hand stainless steel domestic range hood (900mmx500mm) and I was wondering if that might be a good start for a hood for a coke forge? (only ever had a gas forge till now).

Looks like the attached image minus the lights and filters and inbuilt fan.

Any advice/comments/ridicule welcome (I am new to the concept of using ducting and hoods and chimneys and the like.

Thanks in advance

LJ

robinhood-rwc3ch9ss-ducted_1.jpg

RWC3CH6SS Canopy(1)-800x800.jpg

Side draft hoods tend to work better. I first tried a large hood overhead; didn't work at all well, then added a fan assist still not great though I burned up a fan.  Now I'm using a variant of a side draft and it works a treat!

Not only a good start...pretty good finish too I would say.

Pretty easy to find out if it will work.

Depends on a lot of things like size of fire, height above fire, height of flue above roof ridge etc.

The only thing you might be aware of it that the flue size is fairly small, you may need to do away with the chimney section and build it a bit larger.

I have a stainless hood over my coke hearth. But then I have a gas furnace sitting under it on the hearth-which is rarely used. Almost always gas now.

The stainless hood gets the heat up the chimney adequately, and has not deteriorated in the 20 years it has been in use. I got through two mild steel ones in the 20 years before that.

To expand on Alan's comment about the flue size, you will find a lot of recommendations here that the flue be a minimum of 10-12 inches in diameter. That's a cross-section of approximately 80-115 square inches; compare that to your existing flue and adjust the latter accordingly.

Thank you for all the replies. Much appreciated.

I guess I'll start with the rangehood but try a larger flue size. Some modifications will be done.

It is a pain though that I have to have the flue through the wall and not straight up through the roof...