I Forge Iron

Non-Tempered spring steel

Hi...I have the opportunity to pick up some non-tempered  spring steel 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 24" long at a local spring shop. Is this worth checking into? Can items like hawks / knives / punches / chasing tools be made with this? It's free. So I'm all in. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Non temperd? Are you sure we are not talking about annealed, non hardenned Spring steel? Non temperd would be hardenned but not "temperd" which is controlled heating of hardens steel to make it tougher/less brittle. 

Typicaly new spring steel is good stock for shop tools and hard service knives and axes (tho it is difficult to forge weld). Ask about the spacific alloy as that can effect the proper forging temp as well as how you heat treat it 

If you're getting drops from a sprig shop they're cut offs too short to use for springs and are mill annealed or normalized. I don't know which but they're easy working soft, you can bend it cold, drill it punch it, saw it with a hack saw like any medium carbon steel.

It's a heck of a good score, congratulations.

Frosty The Lucky.