I Forge Iron

Help...I'm far away from the smithy with nothing but a hacksaw and one of these concrete stakes

I've reforged the points on a number of them. Usually because they had to be cut for some reason or they broke. I've also straightened any number of them over the years both hot and cold.

Not all have holes. I've used some of those simply as large diameter round bar. I have a large 1" diameter drift  I forged out of one I use to open up bottle openers. I'll probably forge out a 2nd one out of one of the narrower pins as well.

I've repurposed pins for any number of uses. I may take a few of my really long 48" pins and drift a nice 1/2" hole thru them near the top and use them as tent stakes to help hold down my tent at the fair this year. I need something tall enough some one won't accidentally trip over, as well as easily being able to take a line. I've also thought about drifting some "figure 8" loops out of heavy bar stock top do the same thing. Slide the pin thru the one hole of the "8" and then tie the rope to the 2nd hole and the tension should pin the "8" in place on the pin.

Yeah I found a 5/16" spring  probably about 12'-15' long after straightening but took it back to the shop last month.thats 2 1/2 hours away :-) my fiance picks up metal for me on her walks but that is all she has found lately. No worries. I was just trying to see what I could do with found materials. Thanks guys :-)

my fiance picks up metal for me on her walks but that is all she has found lately. No worries.

About as good a reason for a 'keeper' as any I've heard!:D 

However don't encourage her to start bringing you 'bits off cars like axels and springs!

Edited by ianinsa

I dunno - If I found a woman who could (or would) drag home a truck axle for me, I'd think that would seal the deal!

If she could, maybe her 'explaining ' the error of your ways would 'hurt' some what :D

Where are you now-in the Boonies?  Garage door companies have springs off roll up doors, auto yards have springs/axles, rental yards have worn out jackhammer bits, all you need to do is look around. If you are out in the Boonies.....you may need to take a trip into town.