I Forge Iron

Call A Hammer A Hammer

That about sums It up Gote!

thank you Mr. Evens, tho I'm not sure i did anything other than try to put my muddy thoughts down. 

I see not only the issue that Gote points out, zellota are hard on your patience, and you can't teach the beliver. The other thing is somthing my mother and daughters suffer from, they listen to about half what you say and assume they know what your talking about and stop listening. i keep telling them "listen to what I am saying, not what You think I'm saying!" Often we see the same thing here, read the whole thread, not just the headline.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually i've seen TLDR at the end of a post as a way to present a shorter version if you know you're being longwinded, as I felt I was.  No disrespect meant there.  I think I'll throw in the word "version" to prevent further misunderstandings. 

As far as the horses going to the stables, I must have misunderstood the tone of the conversation, or missed a post, as often happens on zee intarwebz, and was just trying to get past what seemed to be an impass at the intersection of hammer street and die road.

PS: There are some really cool videos of open die forging on youtube.

Usually i've seen TLDR at the end of a post as a way to present a shorter version if you know you're being longwinded, as I felt I was.  No disrespect meant there.  I think I'll throw in the word "version" to prevent further misunderstandings. 

As far as the horses going to the stables, I must have misunderstood the tone of the conversation, or missed a post, as often happens on zee intarwebz, and was just trying to get past what seemed to be an impass at the intersection of hammer street and die road.

PS: There are some really cool videos of open die forging on youtube.

Ah yes I see. You were doing an executive summary of your own post rather than referring to the thread as a whole.

In that case I am glad I misunderstood your meaning....If you know what I mean! :)

Alan

Deja vu. This same question came up some time ago. I'm hesitant to post the link because it contains some examples of me being a facetious little troll, but it does contain input from the great man himself (please note that the material being forged in the video is copper) for those who are curious;

Yess, Francis, more than one way to skin that cat. But As he is trying to explaine his thoughts and methidology I would give him some laditude. 

Tho i will admit that despite using a rounding hammer more often than not, for general forging I use either a strait or cross pein that is acualy half round ( based on the withe of the hammers)

As I believe I pointed out on some previous occasion when this "hammer as die" claptrap was trotted out; Any hammer with a round edge has an infinite, literally, number of "dies". The more complex the curve (e.g. the edge of a "crowned" hammer face) the more times you can times that infinity by itself.

In the case of a "cat's head" hammer, I think this adds up to infinty x infinity x 100 zillion = a hammer that wierdly you never see anyone use. So many "dies", so few friends. Sad.