I Forge Iron

I bought a small Anvil. It came with a home made anvil stand with foot vice, and 10 hand tools for shoeing etc. The anvil is 73lb. I can not make out the words. There are four lines of words above the lb line. I have 28 pictures of the anvil. I would like to show all of them because I do not know which one will be the best for someone to make out the words on. Can I post that many here?

Thanks

Mule

DSW, thanks for the suggestion. I will try the chalk thing, today.

I can make out some letters, but not enough to make words. Course, the words may not be any that I am familiar with, nor know how to pronounce, even if they were all clear.

I am assuming it is cast steel. It had a nice ring to it.

It difinately has not been taken taken care of.

Mule

Thanks, Black Frog and Crazy Ivan. Using y'alls suggestions I got this information from the web site, Blacksmith's Gazette.

Anvils in America by Richard Postman. Richard devotes almost three pages to the Paragon anvil, which was made by a Swedish company names Soderfors. The advertisements claim that they are solid forged steel, but Postman feels they are cast steel. He says that it really doesn’t make any difference, because they are excellent anvils. Soderfors has supposedly been making anvils since about 1200 AD; however, he could only find records of the Paragon anvil dating from around 1902 as the oldest and about 1934 as the newest. Soderfors Bruks Akkticbolag was located in Falun, Sweden and exported blacksmith’s , farrier’s, and sawmaker’s anvils to the United States. The number stamped on the anvil would be its actual weight, they didn’t use codes. Paragon Solid Steel Anvils were made in weights from 50 pounds to 450 pounds. They were marked in different ways, come having a crown, some having the image of a raxor, some having the name cast in and some having it stamped on.

Yeah, it's cast not forged. There's still a remanent of the flashing where the halves of the flask joined and there are no handling holes for forging. Not that you couldn't forge an anvil without the holes in the waist I just don't know of an example.

I'm a huge fan of Soderfors anvils, (not a shock to the regulars here) they're hard and tough as a politician's heart. Some edge chipping is common, they're very hard so mis-struck blows on the edges can chip them. If they're a problem for you dressing (radiusing) them with a grinder is a good solution if they're not too deep and those look okay for "dressing".

Put that beautiful old lady to work, she'll soon be queen of your fleet. Best anvils I've ever used.

Frosty The Lucky.

i agree with frosty there, i have a söderfors dannemora myself, 120 lbs though, best anvil that I've ever used, im willing to bet that you won't be disappointed with it.

like frosty said, just mind the edges, not only will they chip, the chips also fly off at really high speed and they're really sharp, a friend of mine got hit in the neck after his hammer chipped, nasty wound

TIf you were referring to the CWT system; it is NOT a "code"!  It's a weight system just like our ounces and pounds or the metric system's grams and kilograms.

It was pretty specific to the UK/commonwealth and to earlier times  which helps locate/date some anvils.

ThomasPowers, what does "Tif" stand for?  Also, does "CWT system" mean Counter Weight system? I am not good with initials or what ever they are called.

To anyone who might know:

Speaking of numbers, what does the 924 stand for? Could there have been a "1" in front of the 9? Making it 1924.

What is the meaning of the 11 in front of the weight?

What are the numbers on the rear base flange about?

I now know where it is from, now I am curious about other details.

Thanks

Mule