I Forge Iron

Jackson chandelier

Gayle Brooks

The topic name is the job name in the studio. We are building 2 chandeliers for this client. The one I will be sharing is the larger one. It had 3 rings to it. The largest, bottom ring is 5 feet in diameter.

Since this chandelier is a focal point, I figured it would be important where the points of focus would be. That way if I had a lamp that was not a pretty as the others, there would be a place to put it with little to no distraction. So there are 15 lamps in total. In which I numbered them and will use this reference for assembly.

IMG_0299.jpg

Currently it is me and our apprentice making this. I was handed a sample of what the lamps on the chandelier will look like. We had the apprentice make the rings, I started on the bars with the forged tabs on the end.

IMG_0298.jpg

These bars are 1/2" x 9 1/2" long. I was to upset each end 1/2." When we start mass producing these parts, kind of get in a production run. I used a torch and a swage block that had a 1" concave shape on it. I was aiming to get it up set and the first initial flatten in 3 heats and keep it under 5 min. I notice while I was forging these, the swage was bouncing around and alot of energy was being transferred in that motion, and not the steel. So a quick bungie to tie it down. That saved me one heat and got it down to 3 min. Minutes saved like this are great because they add up so quickly. The 3 pieces to the right of the center punch are the steps to get to the button shape.

Next was using the press, I'll get some pics of this next week. But in a nut shell I had a block setup with a 1/4" shoulder on it and squished the mass I upset to get a nice little button.

IMG_0297.jpg

and the jig to find center for my holes. There is a hole on the back that you cant see, I used a transfer punch to index them.

IMG_0280.jpg

and then assembly! Ill let this pic do the talkin

IMG_0288.jpg

Thanks for reading! Ill post more soon. :)

-Rory

Here is a shot of the press tool I was using to create the button, its a one heat squishing.

IMG_0319.jpg

Typically when I start assembly they are off a little. As much as 3/8" off center of the other ring.

IMG_0315.jpg

I clamp it down and use a bending fork to grab it. It will bend at the weakest point which is at that shoulder.

IMG_0316.jpg

The riveting tool I use is a punch. Im able to reach down there, have my hands clear and hit the rivet exactly where I want.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

If the piece starts to get to hot to handle I use a magnet to hold my rivet while I flip it over and get it in place.

IMG_0320.jpg

Very nice, thanks for the pictures. Why did you choose to head the rivets on the inside? I suppose you wanted to preserve the button head on the outside and get a smooth inside. Usually faster/easier to use a countersink rivet on the inside and a decorative hammered head on the outside. Sometimes it's necessary, here you had your choice. There is no "right" way to do it, it's all choices. More! We want more!

Thanks! :)

Yes, the hole was counter sunk on the inside and the round head of the rivet is visible on the outside. There will be a blown glass vessel inside here holding the light. The inside being as sooth as possible is pretty important. There will be some minor cleanup after all this is put together. Being I am given the prototype, I have to stay as close as possible as well and follow the same look.

In the mean time when Im doin this, I also have to forge some tapers out of 6" of 1 1/8" square bar.

22536_300431344705_507974705_3187327_692

We have 6 hammers in the shop. On the side I work on is a 100lb little giant and a 75lb Bull air hammer. Using those 2 hammers together I can typically get these done with in 30 min. Ill post more of these when i can.

IMG_0296.jpg

Thanks again for reading!

Next was forging these decorative tapers that are under the lights. This is a 1 1/8" square bar tapered down to a 5/8" tip (grows about 3") with a groove and a twist. The ball is welded on in this situation.

To start off here are some tooling we use under the power hammers.

A flatter. This is great not only to clean up your work but you can forge with this tool and be comfortably aggressive.
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg
IMG_0327.jpg

One of the groovers we have.
IMG_0328.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg

Then I am left with
IMG_0331.jpg

at Dragon Forge, ltd. we use terms with twists as "flats." So a full 360 deg twist would be called a 4 flat twist. I might unknowingly be referencing my twists using this term. We also do ours clockwise as a default. Only is it written very clear to do them the other way. This helps eliminate any simple mistakes.

IMG_0333.jpg
IMG_0336.jpg

I also was to grove some flat stock for the rings of the chandelier. We have another tool for the air hammers. Here we have a stop on the bottom die and the groover mounted on top.
IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0341.jpg

AND..I did alot today... "S" hook chains. Fairly simple. Pretty much all the steps in the pic.

IMG_0364.jpg

and the jig

IMG_0365.jpg

Thanks again!

man o man, getting alot done but these long work weeks are starting to catch up with me!

Above these 3 rings is the wire box where everything is wired together. This is also the main support for the chandelier. I located center, placed a center punch and then put a heavy bevel on the end of the 5/8" bar. When I welded this I wanted to make sure I got alot of penetration.

IMG_0382.jpg
IMG_0381.jpg

Placed some 1/2""x1" bar across and stitched everything together. This bad boy isnt goin anywhere.
IMG_0384.jpg

I rolled some eyes earlier. In the 1/4" plate for the base punched out some holes and have the eyes hanging out. Also have 2 thin pieces of sheet and made a cover to the top. These just sit on top of tabs.
IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg
IMG_0379.jpg

"S" hook chain
IMG_0372.jpg

Here the rings are rolled, have stretchers on them
IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0394.jpg

Laying out where the lamps will go
IMG_0386.jpg

This next week will be assembling the bottoms of the lamps with the mounts in prep to assemble and attach to the chandelier

Thanks again!

This week was finally being able to start assembly of everything we have been making here at Dragon Forge, LTD. Between the weather here in Pine, Colorado and the looooong work weeks I am happy this project is nearing the end.

here is an exploded view of how the lantern mounts are built.

IMG_0400.jpg

The next series of pics are the steps of the layout/jig I made to assemble these. I have lines on the table for reference points and was using a level to check me self. This first step was finding center.
IMG_0403.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg

Afterwords I mounted the lamps arms of these mounts.
IMG_0453.jpg

When I left the studio at 7 last night I had 2 of the 3 ring finished. This is the smallest of the 3 rings.
IMG_0465.jpg

Here is pops holding up one of the lamps with the blown glass and candle light covers.
IMG_0457.jpg

Thanks again!

The twist is 1" bar that has a shoulder forged on the end. That slips into a piece of tubing. That tubing has a hole and we plug welded that collar to the 1" square bar so we had a seamless joint. The top is also tubing that is attached the same way. There is another hole drilled in that for the wire to slip inside and go up the into the lamp. lol Im better at taking pics than typing! Hope it makes sense.

Tell your dad hello for me

Will do! :)

Very nice, thanks for the pictures. Why did you choose to head the rivets on the inside? I suppose you wanted to preserve the button head on the outside and get a smooth inside. Usually faster/easier to use a countersink rivet on the inside and a decorative hammered head on the outside. Sometimes it's necessary, here you had your choice. There is no "right" way to do it, it's all choices. More! We want more!

Lovely work Rory and great photos

Pneumatic air craft fitters rivet guns (not pop rivet guns) are brilliant for jobs like this. The "snap" fits over the rivet head and a small (couple kg) "bucking bar" is placed on the back of the rivet on the inside. Squeeze the trigger and because of Newtons 3rd The back of the rivet flattens instead of the head.

http://www.aircrafts...ivetgun2602.php

Wonderful tools (aren't all tools). They are given sizes by the number of X's. A 4X will probably do a 5mm steel rivet cold. My biggest is a 7X and will do a 6mm stainless cold (sure makes the hand tingle though). The rear of the rivet can be set into a c/s hole if required. One wonderful advantage for a job like this is that you can hold the bucking bar square to the back of the rivet. Some jobs just can't easily be done any other way, eg :

http://www.verdigris...etter%20box.htm

I'm not sure if you can see from the photos on my site but all the rivets heads on the front are as perfectly round as the day the manufacturer made them. All the hammer marks are on the inside. You just can't reach down with a punch / rivet set down to the bottom!

First time I used one I thought they used magic as a means of working .... and I used to be a Physics/Maths teacher!! ..... I still think it's magic.

Professional quality kit costs a few hundred quid but good used ones regulary go for £50 ish on flea bay.

Simple can't recomend them highly enough, definitely in the "top ten" of all my tools. Obviously air powerhammers are #1

totally inspiring piece of craftsmanship and design - major respect you lot :) thanks for the whole process - its great to see!

Beth as always your words are to kind :)

Pneumatic air craft fitters rivet guns (not pop rivet guns) are brilliant for jobs like this. The "snap" fits over the rivet head and a small (couple kg) "bucking bar" is placed on the back of the rivet on the inside. Squeeze the trigger and because of Newtons 3rd The back of the rivet flattens instead of the head.

I totally forgot we have those! We even blank shanks that are long enough I could reach that rivet. Aaa...sometimes you win some, sometimes you forget the obvious! Thanks! lol

I believe this tops any presentation I've seen for process,tooling and assembly. It must have been quite a chore just to get the photos together. Thanks!
Anvillain

Thanks! Taking the pics was not to hard, all camera phone. Quick pic and put it back in my pocket. I try to post what I like to see and that is as much detail and information that I can. Hopefully sometime this topic might help someone who is building a similar thing.

This is great not only to clean up your work but you can forge with this tool and be comfortably aggressive.

Now I have been accused of being passive aggressive in my time ...... or is it aggressive passive .... but comfortably aggressive??? Kinda like the sound of aggresively comfortable.

WTF it's all psychobabblebiggrin.gif