I Forge Iron

Speaking of hammers............

canman

I have finally saw a difference in hammers.:o Unfortunately the were claw hammers, but still the lesson was learned. I was given a new claw hammer by my Dad the other day during a remodeling project that I conned errr I mean got him to help me with. I guess it is what you would call it a re-gift but still it works for me :D. So after seeing the difference between cheap flea market hammers and this "new " hammer made in my carpentering skills, where can one find a great blacksmiths hammer at an affordable price? Economic crunch has its hands around my throat too. It is hard to justify spending $100.00 plus dollars for a new hammer for a hobby, than saving money for next months bills. My financial consultant (wife), is getting tired of hearing " I am sorry........." instead of me asking (for permission) about available funds. Any suggestions or ideas?:confused:

canman:cool:

Assuming you have the essentials of a blacksmith shop already, scrounging capabilities, a little skill and some patience...

1. Buy the UMBA video (RD58) for $5 (plus $2 shipping) that has Doug Merkel showing you how to make a hofi-style hammer.

2. Make the tools to do it with scrap steel.

3. Go to a spring shop dumpster (be sure to ask) and find a large suspension pin from a large truck.

4. Make your own.

After a few frustrating starts, you will have a great hammer for yourself, some new skills AND the ability to say you made it yourself.

Edited by steve sells
corrected UMBA video number

Check your local junk/antique/swapmeet for a 2-4 pound engineer/minisledge they can be had I got one with a good handle for $1 the other day... it took some bargaining but I left with a hammer for a buck, 5-10 is a more common price and some times you get lucky and find a cross peen

There're also garage/yard sales, flea markets and as a last resort pawn shops. Almost any smooth faced hammer will work for smithing but ball peins, cross peins, driller's hammers and single jack sledges are probably the most generically useful.

Frosty

My wife is the boss. Period. She runs the finances and I believe everything she tells me about them.

Even when it means we do not have money for a couple pairs of tongs for me...but enough for her to get a new Vera Bradley bag. All that means is she will be happy....which in turn makes me happy. Because if the wife aint happy then aint nobody happy!

I bought a cheap(er) knock off of a small swedish hammer that was soft and losse in the handle. I re-hardened it and put it back on the same hammer(after it went flying off the handle in a demo! That was funny...). There are all types of ways to modify and refurbish less expensive stuff to serve your needs. That is the cool thing about us. Taking what we have and making it work for what we need.

Peyton

I second djhammerd's suggestion. If it seems dounting, start small. I think there are two things to be learned by making ones own tools (besides the money saved) you learn more skills and you learn how to make tools that work in your oun hands. Everyone has a different way of approaching work and holding tools. If you make your own, you will find that balance of head waight vs. handle lenght and diameter that fits you best. No off the shelf hammer can ever do that.

I've only made a few hammers, but I have customized most of the ones I have bought. Most of my hammers come from flee markets, junk shops and garage sales. I prefer them without a handle, so I can make my own, they are cheeper too. If there are several, offer to buy them all, as they say cheeper by the dozen...
Good luck and have fun!

Thanks to all for your replies. I have accumulated a few hammers and I am always looking at junk stores, flea markets, and etc. I still have not found the right hammer yet. I have read threads in the past that talked about hammers being balanced, and such, but have not found it yet. I am looking for something that makes as dramatic a difference in my smithing as the "new" claw hammer made in my nailing.
I am a machinist by trade. I have made all types of hammers. They were just a means to an end. An object on the end of a handle to beat with. I am looking for something more. I have never tried to forge a hammer, they have always been machined from what ever material was needed for that particular task.
Richard, the main hammer I am using now is a cross pein hammer that was re-handled. It works. It just does not have "that" feel. I do not know if it is the hammer head or the handle or both that needs to be adjusted. Or if it is me.
Dj, I will definitely check out the video you mentioned.
Fe-Wood, Do you modify store bought handles or do you make you own?
Thanks again for all you thoughts and comments,
canman

Canman.... A few posts up I referenced an UMBA Video with Doug Merkel. I said it was RD142...

My bad... Although RD142 is an interesting video of Glenn Horr (Animal Heads) and Phil Cox (Power hammer info), the one with Doug Merkel is RD 58. I hope you hadn't ordered it yet (or caught my error when you looked at the list on the UMBA website.... Sorry...