I Forge Iron

Self operated press blue prints

Damascus Mike

BP0580 Press was built for a specific project but has since found use many times over. Air over hydraulics would speed things up for the operator, but many times I like the control slow provides.

You may want to do a search of the IForgeIron Gallery for presses. There are several there. Also search the IForgeIron Forum for hydraulic presses, particularly for one Jr. Strasil made.

thanx guys for the info, i have two old car jacks here, i plan to make a small portable press and a small portable power hammer but with the small press it must a small one that is made from hardly any thing

can you explain to me how this small press works?or send plans or sumthing thanx

Mike, email your way. No real construction notes as the Blueprint was about a low cost, low pressure, and a slower way to use the press. Many times you do not need tons of pressure, just a gentle squeeze.

• 1 month later...
prtprs1.jpg prtprs2.jpg
I think this is what Glenn was talking about, it uses a 10 ton Porta Power cylinder, but its not fast enough to weld with. Its made of 4 inch channel iron and 3/8 by 2 inch flat iron with 1/2 inch cold rolled pins, I keep it on my service truck for those small press jobs.

prscntrls.jpg
Even this one is too slow to weld with, because of the large Cylinders and Low GPM and high pressure of the pump. 3000 rpm, 3000 psi, 3 gpm. 72 ton on 8 inch cylinder, 50 ton on 7 inch cylinder, its capable of over a 100 ton, but the table pins are not.

13211.attach

13212.attach

13213.attach

Mike, you must inventory out what you have available, and formulate a plan to put it together in such a way it works to get the job you want done. Each of us have different parts, different needs, and a different way to put it all together. Just build it 10 times as strong as you think you will ever need. What you do not use is the safety factor of the design.

ok well iwant to make a small press for knife and damascus making.i already have a jack, square toobing and i beam and all the metal i need to make it from, now i just need a plan and a design

ok this isnt going to make you happy but to weld damascus you dont need a small press you need a big one... but mostly you need a fast one ...the presses ive seen for damascus welding run 20 tons or better and have a hi gph pumps and large cylinders ... smaller ones are useing 4 in cylinders with 8 in travel and useing 7-10 hp electric motors to run pumps ... if this dosent scare you off i would check with the knife guys here on i forge iron or dug foggs knifemakers forum . this is something a friend of mine is building and they can be DANGEROUS ... there is high pressure hydraulics involved .good luck!

Mini Press control set up - BladeForums.com

BladeForums.com - View Single Post - Photos Mini Forging Press, Pictures :)

Mini Hydraulic Press

some of the guys over on bladeforums have had sucess with these, you just hafta make a smaller billet.
A friend of mine told me he watched a guy make a pocketknife sized billet in a big vice, one heat one squeeze.

Mike, personally I think you need to get one project or one procedure under your belt before you move on to something else.

Mike, no matter what press you build, the design success will depend on your ability to make good strong welds. What type welder do you intend to use, what rod, how much welding experience do you have, how many hours welding, how much rod have you burned (how many 50 pound boxes of rod)?

If your welding skill and expertise is not first rate, your press will not be first rate either. In that case you may want to back up, increase the strength of the design and the size of the metal stock, and use heavy bolts (heavy being a subjective term here).

Another issue in the design of the press is failure of the hydraulic hose. Hot high pressure hydraulic fluid can do a lot of physical damage to flesh, and as you are using the press to squeeze hot metal, there is a very real fire danger from the hydraulic fluid catching fire. Design so that all lines are protected from physical damage and have no kinking issues or damage. Also design so that in case of a hydraulic line failure the hot fluid is contained or diverted from the operator and any flame or ignition source.