I Forge Iron

Building a shop

I want to build a shop, mostly because I'm getting tired of hauling a thousand pounds of tools out every time I'm going to do something.Only a few things I want to ask.First, how close can I safely put the smithy to other buildings,like our barn that has hay,animals,ect?Or putting it near the edge of the woods?
The reason I ask is,right now I have two places I could put it,first is on the back side of the chicken coop about 100 feet from the barn,or put it near the woods,away from other buildings.And lastly, if I run a side draft hood with a spark arrestor would it make things alot safer?
I just don't want to start a unwanted fire. Thanks
A picture of what I have now.
forge16.jpg

Spark arresters and other safety equipment are nice. It is a good idea to always start with a good location, and safe practices. These other things just help out. I don't rely on them for fire prevention.

If your choice is to build close to the chicken house or barn, then consider a stray spark. I would rather replace a chicken coop than the entire barn. also the hay can ignite fast, starting other things burning.

If it was my call, I would build at least 3x the height of the chimney away from anything you can't afford to lose. So if you have a flue top of 15 feet above ground, a 45 ft burn free radius, should be fine.

Having said that the odds are low of starting a fire from your flue using charcoal, coal or coke are even less, but this is a long term shop so why have to move it later? Why risk your property by making a hasty placement decision.

A tall stack really helps burn up sparks. I live in the middle of a big hay field and any errant spark when it is dry will set it ablaze (especially now since we have had no appreciable rain here in 18 months). We experience many fires around here every year from the trains, or cigarettes, or a broken piece of glass in the sun shining on the wrong piece of tinder; anything that gets out of my shop would very likely start a blaze. There is no rain cap on the stack or anything inside to stop a spark. I've stood outside at night with the blower going full blast and thousands of fire fleas going up the stack but nothing comes out except smoke. BTW, this is a side draft box with 10 feet of 12" round chimney (and about 2 feet sticking out the roof).

My other recommendation is to have several fire extinguishers around the shop. They are life savers when you can't get a water hose over to the fire quickly enough and will usually knock out any normal fire.

The final choice is yours so use common sense and do as Steve recommended with regard to prevention.

The good thing is ,most of the time the wind blows away from the barn.I'm going to do a little more thinking on it though and see if I can put it in a better place,it would be better if I ever wanted to add on too make it bigger .I know about the fire extinguishers,I keep two large ABC ones in each building,and I'll get one for the shop too,when I get it built. Thanks again,I'll post Pictures when I start.

the only other thing i would reccomend is keep easy combustables out of the shop... things like paper,sawdust ,oily rags ect are a problem waiting to happen.... i have never had a problem with sparks going up out of chimney but i have set stuff on fire with dropped hot steel....if i was starting building from start ide look into cost of concrete block building... nothing to burn so less fire hazard...

Well, thats one thing I was looking into was a metal carport,I'm not that far from the place they build them so I'm thinking I might find somthing nice for a price not much more than building and it wouldn't burn like a wood building.I was looking at some of the 12x16 buildings,I would think that would be a nice size for a starter shop.

My first shop was 20x20 and it was plenty large enough to work in so long as I didn't have a bunch of spectators. I had two forges, two power hammers, one anvil, one 4x8 work table, one small air compressor and all of my hand tools in that building. It was quite cozy and suited my needs for many years.

Well, thats one thing I was looking into was a metal carport,I'm not that far from the place they build them so I'm thinking I might find somthing nice for a price not much more than building and it wouldn't burn like a wood building.I was looking at some of the 12x16 buildings,I would think that would be a nice size for a starter shop.

should work good ! i am currently working in a shop that is 15x15 it has a power hammer a fly press, drill press ,beverly shear ect ... also part of the shop is a display/ showroom... 12x16 should keep you happy for a wile ... of course there is never too big!! you will fill whatever you end up with... have fun!

48 Willys ...we were down in your neck of the woods last Sunday (Rural Retreat and Ivanhoe) . I was picking up a welded firepot I had a guy CNC Plasma cut from 1/2" stock for me. One thing you might want to check out is your homeowners Insurance. I know it's a pain, but after reading a recent post it sounds like in many cases our claims might be denied and policies canceled for having forges inside buildings, or even welding !

I had the insurance issue come up. I told them the sum of the equipment in my shop was less than most well equipped woodworkers shops. The problem they had was my wife made me a sign, and they thought I was running a business. My coverage for "outbuildings" is 10,000 for contents, and I am comfortable with that. I had to send them a letter telling them I was not running a commercial operation, and visitors to the shop were far and few between. They never wanted to see the inside, and I didn't offer.
As far as the forge, I told them it was safer than a woodburner, and was always cold when I left the shop. I let the forge go out, and do my clean up and planning for the next session, after about 45 minutes I am confident that all the hot stuff is cool, and I lock the door and head for the recliner.