I Forge Iron

"Butterfly Scroll" Shoe rack/hall table

tzonoqua

Hello All, been a while since I posted anything...

I made this shoe rack after getting tired of tripping over all the multitudes of shoes and boots in the hall. (I should have made it a lot bigger!!) I had originally thought of it as a bench to store shoes under, but a friend of mine made the wood top from Ash- when it came back from his the other day I was so pleased with the result, the woodwork totally sets it off, it seems more like a table.. I think more projects together will come in the future!

It's not really one for the purists, it's arc welded together - I wanted to do it quickly rather than spend a lot of time on it as it's for my own house rather than a customers - next time I think I'll wrap/collar where the scrolls join to hide the welds.
:) Colleen

butterflytable4.JPGbutterfly_table.JPGbutterfly_table_3.JPG

Colleen - That really looks good with the wood top (and usefull). With you talking about collars - just a suggestion..... how about making a long collar for were the "C" scrolls are back to back as for the body of a butterfly w/ a head and antenea's(or however you spell them). That way all you'd have to do is have them pre formed to clip on your shoe rack and just hammer them tight from the inside, and then a little touchup on the paint and you really have some butterflies :-) huh , huh, huh ????? - just a thought - JK

Jeremy, what a great idea!

well, I had originally planned to put a bit in the middle for the body of the butterfly, but then after I made the scrolls I thought it might be a detail too far, you know how sometimes "less is more"... but then of course after it's finished I think it needs a little something more!!

I like it Colleen, clean simple elegant. It'd look good almost anywhere.

Jeremy's clip idea is good, it'll add the little detail that will make sure everybody sees what you had in mind for it.

You could use 1/4" rd forged to a long taper and wrap the same area for a similar effect.

Well done.

Frosty

Colleen do clients come in to your house? I almost always regret cutting corners on the stuff I do for around the farm, and if you do have clients who INSIST on meeting you at the house and seeing your shop, it is very nice to have work that you a really proud of just sitting around under a pile of dirty cloths and your kid's toys... ;-) My ultimate goal is to have my house and my shop speak so eloquently about the quality of my work that I don't need to sell my self at all. (I like talking passionately about blacksmithing, but I find selfpromotion and "marketing" to be less appealing...)
But that really is my goal, to have my shop full of beatiful tools most of which I made myself, and show off my attention to detail, and my forging skill it would be great if it was clean and well organized to... ;-) I tend to think how you get there is almost as important as what it looks like when you are done, (probably a part of why blacksmithing isn't as profitable as it could be for me;-) ADHD with a little OCD just to make things interesting;-) It's funny how cliche' proverbs like: Always do your best, Honesty is the best policy, and Confession is good for the soul;-) are actually good start on doing business well. As usual I take a detour down a philosophical rabbit hole;-) sorry...

Fionnbharr-
Yes, I totally hear what you are saying - in a lot of ways!! No need to apologize for going off on a tangent! I would also love to have my house and workshop filled with beautiful things I've made, but where is the time to do it all- and still try to eek a living, and still have time left over to enjoy all the other things in life...? hmmmm...

Colleen - Congratulations That is for making something for yourself. I too would like to have a bunch of decorative items that I've made suround my shop and home. Like you said were does the time go? The saying "a shoe maker has no shoes" is more than the true in a lot of cases. We need to make a point of doing things for ourself more often - why should our clients reap the benefits of having something beautifully hand made to look at? Those dusty partly started projects that we all seem to have for ourselves that are buried in the corner - lets get them out and bring them alive!!! - JK

aye!!

yes, it's a sad state of affairs when as a blacksmith i have an incomplete fire companion set- I have a cast off coal shovel, that I only kept because the rivets in the scoop bit are slightly off centre so I deemed it unsale-able, the fireside broom is also second rate- the handle is good, but needs a new brush, the poker is ok, but I don't even have tongs- (I hang my head in shame), I've been using cheap barbeque tongs as I have just never got around to making a set for myself!!! :( as there's always something else to do...

hmmm, yes, why settle for second best if I wouldn't expect my client to????!!!

can someone let me know when they've invented a time-stretching machine, please!?

Wow, my wife would love for me to make something like that, although it would probably need to run the length of the entire hall just make a dent. :o:confused::rolleyes:

And Jeremy is right about taking time for ourselves, I have a whole lot of ideas, and projects for the house that I just never seem to work on. Get to spend so little time that most of it is occupied by work already promised, learning, working on shop, etc... I also notice that people tend to notice things that are around the house and I sometimes cringe at that thought. The work seems to follow my progress, the little that I have made but I still enjoy them. Just wish my place was deck out with some Clonik/Yellin/Whittaker type pimpness. :D

hi colleen i love your shoe rack! how i could do with one myself.. i agree with finn its a shame that we always cut corners in our own homes and put ll the love and effort into things for customers and everyone else. tho theres nothing wrong with making a decision to speed up the process so that the job actualy gets done. i really like it

tzonoqua you have made me laugh with your cheap bbq tongs! my husband is a tree surgeon and delivers beautifully cut split wood to everybody, whilst we are in our garden hacking up old furniture and lorry pallets... we are all doing it - you have to laugh!

aye!!

yes, it's a sad state of affairs when as a blacksmith i have an incomplete fire companion set-
(I hang my head in shame), I've been using cheap barbeque tongs as I have just never got around to making a set for myself!!! :( as there's always something else to do...

can someone let me know when they've invented a time-stretching machine, please!?

First off, pick your head back up. Why should you be any different than the rest of us? Hmmmm?

As for your time stretcher, all you have to do is set up in line at the DMV.

Frosty

Beautiful work! I'm glad that you took time to make something for yourself.
Frosty, that last post really made me laugh thank you!
I am a great procrastinaor and starter of projects. As evidenced by my 3/4 finished (for two years now) hot shop.:rolleyes:
I really like this idea of making nice stuff for ourselves rather than getting rid of it all. Particularly with tools or objects we use every day. I thik its well worth the effort to go that extra bit that makes you smile every time you see/use them.
Ed