I Forge Iron

Fair value for tools

I've been asked to help the widow(2003) of a local bladesmith to help value some tools she is ready to let go, as she feels He would want the tools to be used. I need some help establishing value as I am interested in buying some of these tools myself.
1) Champion blower #400 . Complete in excellent shape ( looks to have original legs) dated july 30 1901
2)30# or 40# post vise in excellent shape. Original or authentic mounting
hardware, only missing the spring.
3)#0 size post drill that is free (turns with handle) and appears to be complete. Looks to be in good to excellent shape.
I am not rich but I am honest and I knew this sweet lady's husband and I want to be fair. Any help would be appreciated.

Johnny

I wouldn't give over $150 for any blower! I don't recall seeing any go for over $200 myself! I have two Champion #40 blowers (yes 40 not 400) that I paid $125 & $150 for respectively! (The second is a sized down version of the #40 but it came with a forge that needed a lot of TLC. The forge was free and the blower cost $150)
I paid $75 for my 4 inch post vice and that seems to be the average for that size. I don't know about the larger sizes.
Hope that helps!
Dave

Check Craigslist or Ebay for your area for similar tools.. Prices vary greatly based on where you are. Ask Frosty about the availability and prices on this stuff in Alaska versus FieryFurnace in Kentucky.

A blower around here can be had for 50-100 bucks when they come available. Vices go fo 150-250 when they come up. No idea on the post vise.

1) Champion blower with stand I have paid 80,90, and 120
2)30/40#Lb Leg vise I have paid 50,60,60,75,75,80,115
Hope this helps.

I've been asked to help the widow(2003) of a local bladesmith to help value some tools she is ready to let go, as she feels He would want the tools to be used. I need some help establishing value as I am interested in buying some of these tools myself.
1) Champion blower #400 . Complete in excellent shape ( looks to have original legs) dated july 30 1901
2)30# or 40# post vise in excellent shape. Original or authentic mounting
hardware, only missing the spring.
3)#0 size post drill that is free (turns with handle) and appears to be complete. Looks to be in good to excellent shape.
I am not rich but I am honest and I knew this sweet lady's husband and I want to be fair. Any help would be appreciated.

Johnny

One can always look on E-bay at completed auctions and see what the stuff is actually selling for, although in recent weeks blacksmithing stuff has been going for high prices, I don't know why. I have seen rivet forges that normally bring $100 -$125 bring $300-$400.
The last few Champion Blowers with stands have sold for 267,301,220,100, and one with no stand sold for 160. Post drills have sold for 39, 122, 102 and 24. Lots of others did not even get bids.

Hi, I just wanted to say that I live here in Northern Utah and I have 2 400 champion blowers one without a stand I paid $75 for and one with a stand I paid $125 for the one on the stand was also in the best shape. As for vices I have paid as little as $5.00 for one with only vice and was frozen shut. Also I have 2vices that are 5 1/4" that I paid $100.00 and the other $90.00 both in really good shape with all the parts. All these were found in Utah.
Gaylan