I Forge Iron

question about protecting folders

jarrett

I have inherited a shoe box of my Grandpa's pocket knives. Some are Case, Imperial, Schrade, off brand. I want restore them a bit, keeping them original and then put them in a display case to give to my Dad. These knives were a carpenter's pocket knife and some have chipped blades, or cracked and stained handle material. That is not an issue. The problem is the rust on the blades.

Here is what I've done so far. Soaked them in a rust remover, and rinsed. Then buffed lightly and rubbed out with a brass brush and q-tips. Resoaked and then rinsed in water and then alchohol.

They begin to rust again, though. Here is what I'm think I'm going to do. Get them clean as possible (patina doesn't bother me, as stated I wan't them to retain the worn look) then soak in Linseed oil for a few days. Remove and wipe as much off as possible. This should not leave much of a film or oiliness on them after it dries and once in the case, they should be good to go. Right?

Also, the linseed oil won't harm or discolor any of the handle materials, brass, etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have no idea where you thought removing the oil is a good thing. Leave the oil on the blade and it wont rust. "Cleaned with alcohol Resoaked and then rinsed in water and then alchohol."? that asked for rust, blades need oiling. A regular wipe down of oil protects them.

do NOT use linseed oil! It will harm any pourous handle material and gum up the works of a folder and be a real pain to remove later!

Use a regular oil (not automotive) or even mineral oil. If you really want to go whole hog get renaissance wax andf use that---it's a microcyrstalline wax used by museums to preserve items from corossion.

As Steve mentioned cleaning them and then using Alcohol to leave bare steel is a guarentee to have them rust. The normal state of iron on the earth is rust, rust never sleeps! So clean them and *oil* them or wax them on a regular basis (based on climate, use, etc) and they should be good for another generation!

Thanks for the hints.

The rinsed in water to get rust remover off. The alcohol was an evaporative to diplace and remove all water from the small parts and hard to get to places to ensure they were completely dry.

Probably a good call on the linseed it gets gummy even after a wipe down. I'll use some mineral oil and then the dessicants in the case.