I Forge Iron

Beginner grinder

Hi everyone

I have a grinder question. When I searched the forum for grinder, I found most people talking (and showing pictures of) largeish-looking things, and talking about prices in the hundreds of dollars. That, and making their own grinders and I know for a fact that I'm not that proficient with metalworking yet.

I'm just starting out and am trying to get as educated as possible about the other tools I should have for my shop. Grinder offers on Craig's list tend to be much smaller grinders, such as this jobbie, and are quite a bit cheaper than a hundred bucks.

To be honest, my first interest in a grinder is to spark-test stuff I get from the scrap yard for carbon content, and then I'd figure out what else to use it for as I went. Sharpening tools and whatnot, I guess.

So here's the question: Is a bench grinder like the one posted above sufficient for basic forge work? Or am I going to be disappointed once I get it? If that sort of thing isn't good enough, what would be the minimum specs so to speak for a blacksmith grinder?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

-Dave

Edited by Llabak

I have been using a grinder that size in my shop for over 30 years. I would say it is a good size to start with. My other grinder has 8" wheels. I bought that one about a year ago. On my 6" I have a wire wheel on the one end. It is nice for quick rough polishing. I have also seen brand new 6" grinders at Tractor Supply for under $50. I have some of their metal working tools in my shop and have had no problems. Of course they are imported. But then again, what isn't. They work and that is the main thing.

It looks like a good start for spark testing and dressing the ends of bars after cutting.

Different grinders serve different purposes. Angle grinders, flap-wheels, belt-grinders also have other uses and can do things that the bench-grinder either can not do well, or would be unsafe for.

Form follows function.

i have two of them with different wheels on them i have the cheap wheels they came with on one and the othe i use with very fine wheels for sharping and shaping tool bits for my lathe and they were used when i got them and i've had one for over 15 years and the other 10 years and still work and they were used when i got them and i think i paid 10 bucks a piace at the flea maket

take a look at the multitool, it is a belt grinder that attaches to a bench top wheel grinder, it is a very versatile unit, and it was what I started with, and still use quite a bit. Also take a look at Coote grinders, you have to supply the motor, but they are pretty reasonable once you get settled.

I use a 6'' grinder like that one, I like it, I also have a belt sander that I find very useful, I use my angle grinder quite a bit as well... I would check out some local pawn shops, they usually have a lot of carpentry tools that work well for a start. I have seen belt sanders and grinders going for twenty bucks... thats a simple start, you can always upgrade from there.