I Forge Iron

Test peice bastard sword with dragon quillions

Shane Stegmeier

This is a blade that I did as a test piece before doing a two handed sword for a freind of mine's son's wedding. (I don't normally do swords, but he is a good freind;-) The spine wiggles back and forth a bit, and the grind is far from perfect, and the fit and finish leave a lot to be desired, but it was a test peice. To work out the issues and see if I could do it. I did get the heat treat on it pretty good, I was whacking a 6" diameter axil forging with the blade, and it was leaving pleasantly deep nicks in the steel, and didn't crush or crack the edge. The blade is 35.5" long it does have a distal taper, but I was in a hurry when I hilted it for my father-in-law for Christmas... (He had asked what I was going to do with it cause it sat around in my shop for a few years, till he hinted it would make a nice Christmas present;-) So the balance is a bit blade heavy, and the grind is a bit rough, but it is FORGED to shape. I was testing some dies for forging a diamond cross section into a blade on the power hammer, (it is a hoot to chase the blade through them and try to keep it all going straight;-) To the knifemakers out there it is quite obvious I am a blacksmith, most of you would never show this to anyone, but would use a chop saw on it and weld it into a billet;-) Now a days I hate fit and finish, mainly because it takes me forever and I never have enough time, and it still doesn't come out as nice as I would like. BUT despite all that I do like this blade, and enjoyed forging it atleast... It was a nice blade to whack things with;-)

"There's never enough time to do the things you want to do, once you find them..."

11241.attach

11242.attach

11243.attach

11244.attach

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finnr the Quillions are some of the nicest ones I've seen in a long long time. Your quality control dept. has very high standards and can only make me ask WHEN! can I see more. If I lived closer you'd be shewing me out the door at night...............Duck :D