I Forge Iron

riveting

this may sound like a noob question but over the months now i have made several things, tongs,shovles, stuff that needs rivets, i usually bolt em :rolleyes:
because i have no clue where to get a rivit.. or how to make one, i was thinking of upsetting the end of a 1/4" rod but thats to small to upset without a jig, can i use bolts. and drive em through and use em like a rivet?

Thanks,
sabre

Hey, Sabre:

Call me lazy, but rivets are something I "forge" using my McMaster Carr account. If -- for my next visit to a Ren Faire or an SCA meet -- I just GOTTA have hand-forged rivets, then yep, upsetting is the way to go. Local yellow heat on the end of a 1/4" rod and light taps; finish in a simple "heading jig," which in my case is a scrap rod offcut with a hole in its middle.

McMaster Carr is online, and they while they do have a minimum purchase requirement they've also got most rivets known to man. However, if there's an ACE HARDWARE nearby (or other "Mom 'n Pop," non-Home Depot type hardware store), try there. Look in their specialty fasteners bins, where my local Ace Hardware has a surprising variety of rivets available. Ask for "shovel rivets" or "solid rivets," or you'll be directed to the Pop rivets.

If you don't find rivets, look at the various bolts sold and see if one or more of the head styles available would make an acceptable finished product. It is possible to use a plain steel bolt as a jerry-rigged rivet, though expect the peened end to turn out a bit rough (even using a monkey tool); the threads are going to deform.

Sabre,
It's pretty easy to make a rivit making jig for the vise. Take two pieces of metal, clamp them together with a couple of thicknesses of card stock between them, then drilll a 1/4" hole down the center of the card stock/metal. Make some sort of arrangement to hold them in allignment and so they'll stay in the vise like a spring swage, and a couple of locating pins. Then it'll clamp your 1/4" rod real nice without deforming it, and you can make rivets quite easy.

well i went to ace hardware and , they had no clue what i was thinking about, they sent m to the pop rivet area, i managed to find guy that told me to go to a welding shop because they would have them......ill try making a jig and make some rivets tonight, ill also look up the place that the guy suggested....

Thanks alot for all the replys guys!!!!!

well i went to ace hardware and , they had no clue what i was thinking about, they sent m to the pop rivet area, i managed to find guy that told me to go to a welding shop because they would have them......ill try making a jig and make some rivets tonight, ill also look up the place that the guy suggested....

Thanks alot for all the replys guys!!!!!

Sorry for the wild goose chase :(

I use the Ace Hardware in Fullerton, and they tried to sell me Pop rivets, too. I found the solid rivets in the store's specialty fasteners bins.