I Forge Iron

wind source

Adirondacker

I had posted on a small forge that I build, and was going to use a hair dryer, but have run into a tech problem with this ( burn it up) so I went looking for another source cheap. Could not find anything that suited the need or the pocket book. Was kind of talking out loud trying to figure what I could scrounge, when my son suggested the fan to keep computers cool, I have and old computer that I will take a part later today and see if I can make that fan work, Don't see why I couldn"t hook a reostat up to control the fan speed? If this works could have a endless supply of fans from old computers.
Gary

The computer fan might not have the 'guts' for a solid feul forge, so, just as a suggestion, try taking a ride to your local car wreckers. Find a rear shunt and open the bonnet, look around inside (usually towards the windscreen/shield inside the engine bay) and you'll find a blower that will more than do the job. Every car has a hot/cold air blower these days. With a bit of extra work you can get the wiring loom so you have at least a three speed switch to work it too. It's 12v so you can run it off a car battery(making it ideal for mobile forges) or car battery charger. Reasonably quiet while running and with all the guts you need.
Just a thought (and one I keep telling people about).

a small foundry near by a forge i worked at had a roots type blower driven by a water turbine attached direct , the setup worked untill the place closed down around 1964-5 . i have over the years thought of making a similar setup on a smaller scale say run with with a hose pipe .If you could get one plumbed into the mains water pipe take the water through the turbine and then feed back into the main as long as water moved through the pipe ,free power ,

I have used hairdryers. Then I used a tank style vaceum cleaner with the hose hooked on the backside. ( that worked better) Then I hooked up a small squirle cage blower hooked up to a Light dimer switch for adjusting the speed. (that worked the best)
You can get these blowers at garage sales, flea markets and 2nd hand stores pretty cheap.

I just looked at Glens post. I do have to admit that my champion blower does work the best. And it does make sence to have the pressure needed to blow trew the fire. But when I was first starting out and had little money, that squirle cage worked fine for what I was doing. The way I see it is if you have something laying around use it. Then keep an ear out for some thing better. (THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR WOMEN!!!!!!)

Well I tried the fan out of a computer, and as stated by Ian not enough guts. To bad there are tons of old computer around. I like the idea of reusing, did take a bunch if screws from it. Found a fan for six busks at local hardware store that should work will let you know.
Adirondacker

I shop the local thrift stores and look for the old hair dryers that have the llong hose adn the adjustable speed. People throw them out as they do not want to sit with there hair in the bag while it dries. Last one lasted 5 years for a buck adn like I said it has speeds nice for building a welding heat and keeping it there.
Firegnome