I Forge Iron

Insulator candle holder

I was looking at a recent issue of Bituminous Bits from the boys in Alabama, and one guy had made a couple very cool self standing candle holders out of square stock and the old glass insulators off telephone poles. I had a couple lying around, and needed something for iron in the hat, so In about 1.5 hours I came up with this, when my wife saw it, she asked me to make another one so she could put it in the bathroom, if I'd have known this, I would have been more careful with the hole punching, but none the less, it was a fun little project, I hot curled the arms around the insulator. So tomorrow I'll make a better one!!

I've heard a number of tales of insulators cracking in use as candle holders spilling hot wax. I haven't heard of a fire resulting, still . . .

Beautiful job Mike. Tell em the offset punch holes are to counteract the coriolis effect.

Frosty

I've made quite a few over the years and have a few that a small glass chimney fits into the groove. My wife has claimed a couple of them and uses them while camping.

Frosty, we do have one that cracked, however it did not come apart, although we are a bit more careful with it we have continued to use it on campouts for about 10 years and it is actually very pretty. Guess you just never can tell what will happen...

I can guarantee you that these will crack eventually. Just not which ones will crack. I won't roll the dice. I built these holders for a while. After the first one cracked ( in our home ) I made the quick decision to stop building them ( even to hold potporroui ). If your home burns because of my stupidity, you can own me. Candleholders should make you nervous since the current society will sue over hot coffee. Call me cautious, yes. I still have several buckets of insulators.

Edited by Ten Hammers

I have one of the huge brown ceramic ones that I use as an ashtray/candle holder/ incense holder in the garage or on the porch...never inside. It did crack the inner rim when a candle burned too low, but the rest of it is still sound. I've never been able to find anymore like that one, just the smaller glass ones that are blue-ish green and clear. Anyone know where to find the bigger ones?
Mickey

These were the candle holders Divermike saw. I made these a couple of years ago using 1/2" square splitting the bottom at about 5" tapered and formed into a heart shaped base. The top was split just long long enough to spread out and wrap around the insulator. Don't wrap hot. I learned the hard way twice. Form the arms that will wrap the insulator so that you can push it in.

The author Vance Moore was visiting me at my shop in Maryland and did an article on me and the cowboy hat maker. It was featured in the Bituminous bits for Alabama Forge Council and also in The Upset for the Mississippi Forge Council.

The insulators work great for votives as well as tapers.

10545.attach