I Forge Iron

forge welding stainless steel

carolinemsmith

I have never tried it or seen any posts regarding that here but as it IS steel, I would think it is possible. BUT, if you are not proficient at forge welding other types of steel, you will probably have yourself a time, trying to forge SS as your first project. From what I understand about SS, it has a very narrow forging temperature window, I would guess that forge welding it would be an even more narrow time slot.

Where are you located? If you go to the user CP at the top and list where you are located there might be someone nearby that can help directly.

Yes it can be done but you need some really REALLY aggressive flux as the chrome oxide layer forms almost instantly on contact with air and you can't get a weldment through it.

The fluxes necessary contain flourides which are darned toxic as are chrome oxides.

Hey Jake how you doing? Taking a little chill time for yourself?

Frosty

Hi,Frosty,hope that you've had great time these past holidays,and stay warm!

They were good for us, I hope they were good for you too.

I like your thermometer. It's hard to find one around here that'll read below -40f let alone -100f and a wind chill chart too. That's just too cool. :o

Frosty

Well,i won't worry about derailing this thread,as i think that Steve has pretty much stated it all,above.
Frosty,as you can see,it's a promotional product distributed by our (utterly inane,regretfully)radio station.It's entirely possible that they can be made to tell which part of South East Asia they ordered these from!Maybe,one can get them with the Alaska Blacksmiths Assoc.logo,might make a neat item(for trade with the lower 48 savages,say).Unfortunately,not too many years ago,these same ones were made of tin,and were much nicer.But these are functional enough.

Nah,Rob,it isn't too bad.I did post it here for the shock factor,but in reality it's fairly livable.The way we,humans,cool/heat ourselves,or,more importantly almost,percieve the temp,has all to do with moisture.
In an extra arid environment like here,with no wind,properly dressed,-50 is ignored by a competent outdoorsman needing to go someplace,or get something done.
"Crazy" is a few hundred miles west of here,Verhoyansk range,where it was -68C(-154F)a couple of days ago.And still,those guys there get around,get stuff done.(Not without a breathing mask,though,much past -70,the lungs are an issue-you don't feel them getting frozen,till it's kinda late...).

• 2 weeks later...