I Forge Iron

Smoosh-a-matic?

larrynjr

I use 1 1/4 inch heavy (120 thou) wall tubing to make a smoosh-a-matic. that gives 5 thou clearance for 1 inch bar inside.

I'm not sure that I would make them as I used to.

I think cut two sections of tubing and weld them onto a piece of angle iron.
I like angle iron as it can easily be filed to fit a hardy and with a wedge fit 'kitty corner' it will fit in any larger hardy hole.

10177.attach

10178.attach

Thanks Mark, that fits the description that mcraigl had done on the forging tenon thread and what I was picturing in my head from that description.

So it IS a type of guillotine tool, just with a much large working face. I may try to make one soon. Though the little blacksmith angel in my head says a guillotine tool may show up under the tree this year.....

Larry

Thanks Mark, that fits the description that mcraigl had done on the forging tenon thread and what I was picturing in my head from that description.

So it IS a type of guillotine tool, just with a much large working face. I may try to make one soon. Though the little blacksmith angel in my head says a guillotine tool may show up under the tree this year.....

Larry

It is a guillotine tool in terms that the dies are captured in the tubing. I don't use it for butchering in much as I use mild steel dies (although case hardening does help a great deal)

I use the smoosh-a-matic to draw the isolated mass for the tenon out.

I was always frustrated drawing out the peg when I was away from home.
I usually form my tenons under the hammer - it is simply quicker for me that way.

But away from home, I was always limited to using either the heel of my hammer (which I can do) or using a striker. My issue was one of the conference participant.

Most do not have access to a striker and only a few would have the hammer skills to use a hand hammer.

Enter the smoosh-a-matic. Light and easy to fit to any hardy (well most anyway).

10196.attach

I started one of these based on the description in the Tenon string - good to see some photos here and better to see that what I am working on matches the concept - now if the Wisconsin temp can get more than 5 degrees above zero I'll finish it off.

Thanks to all for the great information

An annular cutter is a type of corring drill used mostly but not exclusively in a magnetic drill press.

To make a tennon the cutter would remove the outer part of the material and leave a core which would be the tennon. They offer many advantages cut much faster than a regular twist drill and make much rounder holes, and seem to be able to make tennons.

I will try to make a jig to hold a mag drill and a piece of stock over the holiday and report back the results.

http://mager.win.mofcom.gov.cn/www/4%5Cmager%5Cimg%5C2007422195934.jpg

brad