I Forge Iron

100 yr old nails

I'm tearing down an old grainery in the yard and burning the wood in an outside wood boiler. They certainly didn't spare the nails so whenever I clean out the ashes I get quite a few big old square nails. Anyone have a reason for me to save these? I saw the thread on horseshoe nail spoon jig but this would be a lot of spoons. I guess it's just the pack rat in me talking.

Sabre's suggestion stems from the proliferation of wrought iron nails in old buildings. it is quite possible that your nails are wrought, and therefore, of some value since there is effectively none being produced anymore.

My suggestion is to keep them and if they turn out to be wrought, don't use them for a spoon, but something more "worthy" (entirely defined by you, may mean spoons).
Test them by heating to a good yellow and playing with it. If it forges like butter, it's probably wrought

There is a certain year abouts where they switched from wrought to mild steel for the nails. I am in the process of restoring a 100 year old Victorian, and they used square nails extensively in the place. A few seem like wrought, but most look like mild. I am saving all I can find, with the thought of re-using them in the future possibly.. You could send them my way if you can't find anything better to do with them :P

Doubtful that they are wrought as nails were being mass purduced nearly a 100yrs proir to your building. (giving your building is only a 100yrs old) I would keep them tho (kinda like you--pack rat!:) ) My biggest question is WHY THE HECK ARE YOU BURNING THE WOOD!?!?!? What a waste! If you don't want it, sale it! Bass Pro Shop, Cracker Barrel, and the like LOVE this kind of material!

I did a spark test and I believe the ones I tested are wrought so I guess I will rig up a screen or magnet to seperate them from the ash. I will have plenty by the time I am done with this so if anyone would like some and is in the neighborhood feel free to let me know, I will be more than willing to share. As for the wood, I am more into metal than wood and by heating with it I am killing two birds with 1 stone. The building has to be gone and it is less wood to cut. If someone wants some I will also share. In my experience with old lumber that I have tried to save is I generally end up burning the pile after a few years of wondering what I'm going to do with it.

A wood carving companion at the Oceanside Senior Center gave me about 15 nails from a house in New Bedford that he had torn down some years ago. The house was built in 1704 and it survived the attack from the British that burned down about 2/3rds of the town. New Bedford was a first a whaling town, then a ship building center followed by fishing. The nails are in good condition, but not as well headed as you may think they should be, as if speed may have been important or the nail header was inexperienced. This was probably a typical situation and both may apply. The house was on Water and Waldon Streets.

Nealj,there's nothing wrong with using bent nails. I think of them as 'small stock'.

I don't see too many wrought iron or square nails here, but often find larger....say...#20 or # 30 nails in old barns and houses around here........Of course, these are the more modern 'mild steel' nails.

When old barns are torn down and the scrap wood burned, there are usually bucketfuls of them to be collected. They can be used to make smaller rivets and.....square nails!

One #20 nail will make 3 square nails(roughly equivalent to #8's)

Another thing I discovered is that you can't just straighten them and use them.......especially after being in a fire..........they are far too soft for most uses.
They must be packed(work hardened) by rehammering them into shape.....then they drive fine.

I've used old #30 nails as links to repair smaller towing chains.