I Forge Iron

First Fire in First Forge

archiphile

Just thought that I would share this moment with all of you. This is my first forge and first fire all in one day... I feel full of win. The firepot is out of 3/8" diamond plate scrape. I purchased the pipe, and the frame of the forge is from 2" sqr tube that was left over from our barn doors. Welds are rough but they will hold. My welder is a little under powered and I am rusty. I still have to put some plate on the top all I have to do is cut it to fit. Let me know what y'all think.

Best,

Archiphile

9745.attach

9746.attach

9747.attach

9748.attach

9749.attach

9750.attach

As to the leaves and wood

1. ) They are wet, as it rained all day and night before.
  2. ) This is a temp location.I will be moving into the garage as soon as the power is installed and I clean it out.

As to the blow dryer blower, I am scrounging for an ex-dryer so that I can have a proper blower. I can not afford a new blower so this will have to do in the mean time. I think that it will work for now and I have planned only to have this on a temporary basis.

Thank you for all of the replies and kind words about the welds.

I still have a blow dryer on my coal forge :P Ive been laying off forever to buy a squirrel cage blower but just havent got around to it...I weld just fine with my little blower..Ill probably just use it until it expires :cool:

Nothing wrong with the hair dryer. Just looks odd compared to the great job on the rest with that just stuffed in. I used one for quite a while, at least till it blew up which forced me to get a "real" blower :)

Now for the serious bit. I may be preaching to the converted but if you are moving the forge into a garage please make sure it has lots of ventillation. These things chew up lots of oxygen and put out some really nasty gases that can do bad things to you. Remember, safety first.

Edited by rmcpb

The blow drier will work fine till you find something better.

Heat something in it yet? It's perfectly usable as it is right now.

Frosty

I am working on a new pair of tongs. This is the first half of said tongs I only had about five minutes to do anything in the new toy, but, I punched this out in that time. It is a start.

9758.attach

Yeah, I need to make a coal forge, too. Except my welds look like I threw JB Weld at it with a sling shot....I went to a demo at an 1850 farm that has been converted to a living history museum. I had the only gasser there. Kinda embarassing. Told the visitors it was a genuine 19th century reproduction. At least the gas is old.....

Yeah, I need to make a coal forge, too. Except my welds look like I threw JB Weld at it with a sling shot....I went to a demo at an 1850 farm that has been converted to a living history museum. I had the only gasser there. Kinda embarassing. Told the visitors it was a genuine 19th century reproduction. At least the gas is old.....

Next time tell them all blacksmiths are full of gas and you're recycling.

Nothing like a good laugh at a demo.

Frosty

If your wife has to keep going out there to get her blowdrier back, you just might get a blower as a holiday gift.

Wife does not use a blow dryer (bd) on her hair, and she is jewish.(not like you knew that) I went out to the thrift shop and purchased 2 bds for real cheap. Thanks

Best,

Archiphile

Looks a heck of a lot better than what I just threw together. Just made the switch from gas to coal on a VERY limited budget. There's nothing wrong with the hairdryer for now (that's what I'm still currently using), until you perhaps decide to upgrade to a handcrank blower. I've been watching for a used one myself, but they generally go for around $175 - $200 (canadian dollars) when they do eventually pop up. Me thinks I have to start selling some pieces and I'll be able upgrade.

Hi there. I couldn't help notice how your forge looks like mine in some respects. I put mine together a short time ago. You might like to read my thread and see how mine came together.

I have an awful time getting any coal around where I live, so my forge has been tuned for a wood fire.

I use an old Electrolux vacuum cleaner for my blower I got for fee as my MIL was throwing it away. I control the air flow with an old vertical gate tap. I have a long piece of sump pump hose I use so I can have the vacuum in another part of the place and I don't have to listen to it whine. Air flow is precise using the tap. I can have anything from a whisper to an all out blast.

Check out my thread:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f11/air-fire-3078/

Christopher

Can you dig a hole? Doesn't take much more than that to build a forge. An old hibachi works nicely, as does an old kettle BBQ, SS kitchen sink, wash tub or anything that will support a few inches of dirt or clay. Then all you need is something to supply air, a hair drier works nicely as does a Coleman Inflateall as I used in the below picture. the bright yellow thing between me and the pickup truck.

Yes, I'm using a birch log for an anvil, burning wood and the log tongs came out fine, better than than they were before. I straightened one hook and needed to re-arc it, in the process I set both point properly so it wouldn't slip again.

Frosty

9814.attach