I Forge Iron

Questions on side draft hood

I know this has been addressed multiple times, and there's probably a blueprint for it, but here I am asking again. I have a friiend ready to fabricate a side draft hood for me, and I haven't the foggiest idea what dimensions I should lay out for him. The hearth is three by three. This will be the top venting design as opposed to Hoffi's through the wall design. So, here I stand hat in hand, AGAIN:confused:

Thanks All.

A side draft forge doesn't necessarily need a hood as in a hood that covers the firepot area. It can be as simple as stovepipe sitting on the forge table and going straight up through the roof, the bottom of the stovepipe facing the firepot has an arched opening cut out. 10 inch diameter stovepipe is ok, 12 inch would be better. Photo 1 is my forge, Photo 2 is Dave Roeder's. Dave's is more of a hood style for working on the front side. Mine is a strict side draft designed to work from the side. Both accomplish the same thing.

9645.attach

9646.attach

1 Start the fire with chanks of wood (I use cokes only)
2 The same from the side .one can see the 25 degrees cut of the tunnel that brings
the top of the tunnel over the center of the fire and will produce a better suction
3 After cover the smoke alone is olso being suked very good
4 ready for heat
5 from the front the tunnel is 12 1/2'' squar and the chimney 12''
6 from a distance
7 into the roof
8 the semmi round tool is to suport the steel in the fire inthe right angle according
to the need
Hofi

9648.attach

9649.attach

9650.attach

9651.attach

9652.attach

9653.attach

9654.attach

9655.attach

Well folks thank you for the input. I had looked at several designs, and really wanted the type that penetrated the wall and then went vertical, but that just wasn't going to work with my overall plan. Hofi, I actually went with a hood of the design that you show in the pictures you posted. Something I was curious about, was whether or not the one pictured has a smoke shelf in it?

Mark, Richard, thank you both for your input. As always, the questions I have, receive prompt and informed answers.

The smoke shelf in fireplaces is for the detritus to fall out of the air stream onto. With wood, this helps keep the larger sparks from leaving the system, as the cool air comes down the chimney, it hits the smoke shelf, creating turbulence in the airstream, which then slows the vertical passage of detritus, in a coal system, generally we don't have the same volume of debris, so it is speculative if we need smoke shelfing on a coal system. I built one with, and one without, and have observed little difference in the systems. Any one have other opinions that differ from mine? I 'm always willing to learn.

We (Yesteryear School of Blacksmithing) build our hoods with NO smoke shelf. And we also have 12" square going out and up above the peak of the roof on all 7 forges. With all the doors open and wind blowing they still draw that fire sideways. I think no matter what it all comes down to the throat size of your pipe and how high you go with it. We do sell them ready for a 10" round pipe to mate up to it...

Here are some photos.
Black Smith Guild of Viriginia - Gallery
Black Smith Guild of Viriginia - Gallery
(Nevermind the ugly guy in the black T shirt...)

Peyton

100_07772.JPG
image.JPG

My forge originally had an over head hood which was really not very effective at drawing off the smoke. Any breeze at all would blow the smoke around and fill the forge with smoke. The side draft hood I made is very simple in design.I followed a blueprint made by Lester Beckman and posted on anvilfire.com. The only modification I made was to use 10 in. stovepipe instead of the 12 in. he recommends. It works very well with the ten inch pipe though.:D

Super Sucker Hood: Super Sucker Side Draft Coal Forge Hood

Terry

I do not have a smoke shelf but I did put a couple of fire bricks on the lower part of the sheet metal. They heat up and have a tendency to keep the smoke drafting when the fire is idle. I used 12" pipe for the stack and do not have a coolie hat so the suction is significant and very little smoke goes into the shop.