I Forge Iron

Steroid Shots in Back

Bentiron1946

This past Friday I had my first steroid injection in my fourth lumbar vertebra. Not too bad except it made my right foot feel like it had a bunch of bugs in it. That was very annoying to say the least. I did not sleep well Friday or Saturday nights and the overall pain was some worse then normal. Today, Sunday, the pain is about back to normal level of 7 or 8 so I guess that ain't all bad. I get my next shot the Monday before Thanksgiving.:cool:

Bentiron,
I am going for my third shot on Dec. 12. I have shown major improvement after the first two. I have three bad discs in the lumbar spine. The doc has prescribed up to nine shots. 3 at each level. I am hoping I will not need that many. I write this mainly to remind all of you to take care of yourselves. If it's too heavy get help and use proper lifting techniques. As of now I have been off of work for over 6 months. I am looking forward to the day when I get to return to duty....
Jerry

Well, the shots do not address the fundamental problem which is usually a ruptured disc. Only surgery will fix that. I had the L4-S1 fused in July and after about 6 weeks of healing I FEEL GREAT!!!! No pain, no numbness, no bugs in the legs or feet. Not cheap though. My savings account still hurts......

Well shot one is down and I can't say that it did much except put bugs running around in my feet and up and down my right leg. That was different then just plain ordinary level 8 or 9 pain. I get the next shot on Monday at 8:00am. The doc has told me I have to go through the shots before I can have surgery. I have to try non-invasive methods first. It sure has been a trial getting this far.

I have had 24 holes poked in my back and not a single one did any good, if they start talking about nerve blocks.....run, you don't want them, trust me.

I have L-3, L-4 & L-5 herniated and the only thing left for me is surgery but they don't give me very good odds on that and they don't want to do it because of my age also, the younger you are the less they like to opperate.
The best advice I can give you is see multiple Dr's don't take one Dr's opinion when it comes to surgery and other serious medical issues, I have been to 3 different pain management Dr's, 2 ortho Dr's 2 nuro surgens and 2 different chiropractors, to try different things and get 2nd or 3rd opinions.
Your spine is the worst thing to screw up, so for all you guy's who don't have any problems yet, be careful, it doesn't matter how big, strong, healthy, or young you are, it can give out just by twisting wrong, my case was too many years of thinking I was invincable, I was in the best shape of my life when mine let loose.
Bentiron, good luck, I wish you the best, I know what your going through.

welder19

So they have to shoot you in the back several times before they are willing to stab you in the back; you must really scare them....

I've been stabbed in the back twice now; once at birth (ceasarian and the scar is hard to find now that it's 50+ years old), and once to remove a suspicious mole and then to do a bit more when they looked at the slides and that one looks like I was gunched with a wide bladed sword right on the spine.

Remember the back never forgives nor forgets an injury---it just bides it's time!

Yeah it lots of fun. Not bad really until he starts pushing the steroids in then the pressure sort of hurts a bit. The problem starts for me in about five minuets when my leg starts to hurt form the pressure of the steroids on the nerve root. It goes away after a few days. I can't say that it has helped me so far. The fellow that has the appointment right after me has had a lot of relief thought. I'm happy for him.:cool:

I have bone spurs in both my shoulders; one quieted down great with one cortisone shot, the other the shot had little effect and was surgically removed a year ago today. The worst looking one in the pictures was the one that the shot worked on...(they say to expect to need it removed someday too)

• 2 weeks later...