I Forge Iron

settin up shop?

I have a 16' by 16' shed on the farm here that has a cellar underneath it. I was wondering what it would take to set up my forge down there. I know it needs vented. But are there any suggestions or dangers I should know about, or is this a bad idea all together. The cellar has a dirt floor so not much fire hazard, but does coal put off any fumes that would be harmful even if it was vented good.

Thanks, Jason D.

CO, Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air so you'd be running the risk of it building up in the cellar and poisoning you. You could work a positive ventilation system to counter the threat.

Carrying heavy stuff up and down would have me thinking on other locals, I'm old and lazy though.

Frosty

Makes 2 of us Frosty... And Jason, that might make you #3 ahead of your time! What's wrong with the main floor of the barn? You could notch out a small corner for your smithy and be good to go. IWT

I just moved my entire shop and let me tell you I couldn't have done it without using wheels. Forget stairs. I would have had to recruit help and even then it most likely it would have taken two days.

Ok, what exactly do I need for positive venilation, and I guess I could use the main floor. It just has a wood floor and I would still have the vent problem. That and we don't use the cellar anymore. I love having access to everyones ideas/opinions there is something to learn from everyone.

I'm kinda against the cellar/shop idea too.
Since most cellars only have one way in and out, what if sparks from the flue were to catch the ceiling on fire........while you were working and didn't notice?

This is allowing, of course, that the ceiling might be made of wood.......
You could be trapped in the event of fire.

ok, I'm convinced. Move all junk from main floor to cellar and set up on main floor. So what is the economical way to vent this sucker? I have two windows on the upper part of the shed for added ventilation if needed. But does my forge hood need to have a forced air set up of some kind? I am short on time as always, I hope to get hammering sometime between spreading fertilizer and calves hitting the ground in March. We'll see I guess.

Jason D.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, you xxxx sure won't have time to do it a second......

What kind of forge do you have?

In any case an opening near the floor and another near the rafters or exit through the flue should do. A window you can open works as well. Right now I leave the man door open when forging, my shop will have forced ventilation when finished but that's a ways down the line.

If you make a saturated solution of borax in water and swab the floor will with it, it'll be more fire resistant. That's borax, the laundry product, NOT Boraxo the hand soap.

Frosty

I would go with a 10 inch pipe minimum, 12 is better, run it at least 3 feet beyond the roof, 2 feet above anything within 10 feet, and I would suggest a spark arrestor, just in case you burn some odd stuff other than coal, a good side draft forge hood design can be found on this site, believe it or not, I built mine out of sheetrock and metal studs, all screwed together, with plate steel in the direct heat areas, and backed up in the rear with firebrick, works great!!

I highly recommend a side draft. If made right you won't get any smoke in the building. As for the wooden floor...If you don't try Frosty's idea (I didn't know you could do that, good idea Frosty) you could build a box using 2x4's and fill with sand, this will give you 3 1/2" of sand between a hot piece and the wood flooring. Could be messy, not sure if you could add something to the sand to elliminate this problem. But one of the shops Samuel Yellin used had a wood floor....and he did a little bit of blacksmithing...;)

Sounds good. I guess I'll settle in on the main floor. Borax must have a million uses, work good in tanning also. I didnt know it could be used as a fire retardent also. Well I feel better now that I have a plan. Now it's just having the time.Thanks again, I'm going to go look for a side draft forge hood design.