I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Depot Hammers

Gents,

We are dancin around the issue of a few bucks. Why not re-forge a chinese product, a dump find or simply make a hammer. This way we get what we want. As to china and US love affair with cheap products... not likley that will change, been to wally world lately?
Peter

Gerald, see the last sentence in my post on 11-17-08.
Petere, I have a small forge and no power hammer. Making a new hammer head is possible but more work than it is worth. I can buy a good Plumb Cross Peen hammer, properly hardened, for about $18. Why should I have to reforge anything on a hammer I paid $24 for? The world is now learning what happens when other countries depend on the US consumer to buy their crappy products to keep their incompetent governments in power. So much for the Bush Doctrine on Free Trade.

Just had my 20 dollar Hofi knockoff come apart in mid swing, the guy at quad state mentioned the handle might work loose, but I had no indication it was even starting to loosen, just hammer and crash, figures! Now I have to be smarter, and save up for the real thing, I'll probably reforge the cheap one into something else. Sorry Mr. Hofi, I should have known better!!

Hammer Source gets me my stuff next day -routine. I buy my brass, bronze and weighted rawhides from them. And they always follow up with the satisfaction email. Their hammers are carefully selected for quality. You cannot go wrong with them. My forging hammers are a 2 pound Big Blu and the recently acquired 3 pound Hofi and a 4 pound German(from HS). The Mossad may be after me for this, but the handle on my Hofi took a lot of work to smooth. The Big Blu took minimal rubbing with a medium non-woven nylon abrasive pad- silky but not slippery. The flex-glue used by both is great- it has genuine vibration damping value. So, I bought two tubes.mt