I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Depot Hammers

I recently purchased a set of hammers from Blacksmith Depot to replace some hammers I lost in a burglary (I got them back!). I paid $35 for a Swedish and Czech hammer. With shipping it came to $48. The Swedish hammer head is mounted off center and leans to the side. Useable but ugly. The Czech hammer is soft and marks easily. I cannot recommend these hammers. Yes, Mr. Hofi, I know better; you get what you pay for.

I bought the same set a while ago, quenchcrack, but it was on sale for cheaper.

the handles both looked like they were glued on by a child(glue EVERYWHERE), but they were both rock solid. After some grinding to finish the hammers as i like them, they seem to work well, although i am not used to the short handle of the Hofi style hammer, so i don't use it often. I love the swedish pattern hammer, though.

M Brothers, yes but to re-haft them after heat treating is hardly worth the effort. I bought these hammers for use when I go to demos and club meetings. The low cost was supposed to reduce my exposure to loss if they go missing. I actually liked the Czech/Hofi hammer quite a bit but is does mark easily if you hit cold iron with it. The Swedish hammer is a bit light for my taste. I may still order a real Hofi someday. Like after my son graduates.....

I got the same set a couple of months ago. The handles were pretty rough, but serviceable. I had to dress both of the heads quite a bit, as they both had some pretty sharp edges. Other than that though, I've not had any issues with 'em. I haven't dinged either of them up while still learning hammer control. I will say though, I pretty much stopped using both of them when I got my Hofi Hammer. ;) Overall, I consider both of them usable, but in the future, I'll definitely save my nickels and dimes for better hammers.
Mickey

I have the czech and it is really soft.

One of our demonstrators was usign the swedish hammer in the head flew off the handle. Come to find out the handle is only in there half way and filled with red epoxy. I took the head and threw it in the forge and heated the whole thing up and then quenched it in water. It helped harden the head up a lot and I put the handle in all the way and put a wedge in it. I also sanded the varnish off the handle. It is now suitable for a beginner to use in the school...

The head is crooked on ours too...I think the mold is off....

I did not expect much from these hammers(I got them for about 17 bucks or so a piece from another seller). You get what you paid for I suppose.

my .02
Peyton

I picked up some lose sweedish pattern heads a couple of quad-states ago, a bit rough on the punching and quite soft but as I got them for students I *LIKE* them to be soft---harder for them to damage my anvils and tools. I do have to dress them every now and then but for the price I paid and the safety I get from them they were a good investment.

I've had students claim that their bad hammering was due to the hammer and not that they couldn't hammer straight and that my sweedish pattern I used to correct their problems was what made the difference---so now they can use a sweedish pattern themselves and find out they *still* have the same problems!

I posted my complaint on the Blacksmith Depot site yesterday and got an email from Mr. Kayne today. He offered me a $50 gift certificate. It is a gracious offer but I only asked that the defective BD Swedish Hammer be replaced. I could not ask for more than that. It is refreshing to find a merchant that will admit to a problem and promptly address it as generously as Mr. Kayne did.

It's possible they reviewed the last shipment of hammers after your complaint and discovered there aren't any up to standard to replace yours with.

I don't believe I've ever heard of a complaint Kayne and Sons wouldn't make good on.

Frosty

OK, here are photos of the BD Swedish hammer, $25 with shipping (Square Head) and a HF hammer, $5 (Round Head). Note that the head is square with the top of the picture frame and the handle slopes to the left. The HF hammer is about 8 years old, the Swedish was used once. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? As I said, poor workmanship but not unusable.

Frosty, the same idea occurred to me. I would bet a big orange drink that is the case.

9563.attach

9564.attach

Edited by Quenchcrack

No, the handle is definitely cattywompus and the face looks dinged already.

Kayne and sons is giving you your money back though and I'm sure they'll explain why they're refunding rather than replacing if you ask.

It may just be a matter of a slipped die rather than poor workmanship. Of course I'd expect quality control to catch it when the handle is installed so there is definitely someone NOT doing their job.

Frosty

I was told that "every brand including those at regular hardware stores have hammers that could be considered off by some and fine by others. We will refund the entire amount of your invoice today." I will return the hammers when I get the refund. However, I still don't have the hammers I wanted. Richard, I think BD stands behind their products but I still wasn't happy about the outcome of the situation. I was left feeling that they thought I was just being too picky.

I met Mr Kayne a couple of years back and bought the Swedish hammer from him. I am just a beginner, so the hammer seems okay to me, but I will look at it again. As for doing business with him, I have chosen not to make him my first choice for my blacksmithing needs. That is only a personal choice that has little to do with his product.

QC...don't know about too picky, but not that much money so really no big deal on either end. There's a reason the store hammers are cheap, as you unfortunately found out. Is a swedish pattern what you're still wanting to get? Otherwise, an inexpensive hammer for demos but still very functional are ones like I remake from store bought hammers. Yes, they have to be cleaned up, re-heat treated and rehandled, but not that big a chore considering what you end up with.

9581.attach

It's possible they reviewed the last shipment of hammers after your complaint and discovered there aren't any up to standard to replace yours with.

Some years ago, I had a similar problem with one of my farrier tools, a clincher. I left my good one at a clients about 60 miles away. Called him, he said he was coming to town on the weekend and would bring it. I went to my supplier, bought a cheaper replacement to get me thru the week and serve as an extra later. I then proceeded to tear up the replacements at the rate of about two/per day. I'd have been happier and I'm sure they would have been to just have my money back. It was a frustrating few days for both of us. Edited by Jack Evers
accidently hit submit too soon

I do not work for the companies I buy stuff from. I am not their Quality Control Inspector. Apparently, some companies think they can sell junk, let the consumer find the clinkers, refund their money and everyone is happy. This is cheaper than actually doing in-house QC. I am not saying Blacksmith Depot is one of those kind of companies but this whole affair left me with a bad taste in my mouth. If the low-priced item is not serviceable, then have the courtesy to say "these items look just like the real thing but are made so poorly that they may not actually be functional, however they are really cheap". If the Chinese did this, their economy would tank in 6 months.

OK, to be fair to Blacksmith Depot, they did try to make this right. I don't particularly like the hammers but they gave me my money back and said to keep the hammers, which is one way to give me a$50 gift certificate. I know a lot of companies that would do no such thing and leave me hanging. So I still have my $50 and a couple of light hammers that I can present to a young newbie smith at one of the HABA meeting and we will all be happy.