I Forge Iron

Wood cover for anvil

I was making a small nutcracker, with the accompanying picker, and twisted a small piece of 1/4 square for decoration. It became apparent that it bent during the twist and I would have to beat it straight. I have seen our forge master use a wood block to do this with a wood hammer so as not to mar the twist, and I realized that I did not have an adequate piece laying around. So back in the fire with the piece, and I started searching, finally found a section of 2X8 aprox the length of my anvil, I bent some 1/8th strap in a "U" shape with handles to fit snug over my anvils saddlewise. I nailed the straps to the bottom of the board, and now have a removable wood face, that can sit on top of the anvil, quick and easy, and my wood mallet is now no longer lonely in my mostly metal shop. Can't believe it took me this long to figure this out!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,
I built an anvil saddle of wood. With the top or face board over hanging enough to screw a side or waist board to each side. Now the saddle is made entirely of 2x wood. Kinda looks like an inverted old style wood miter box. Slips on and off easily and leaves no gap between wood and anvil

Hi folks,
I built an anvil saddle of wood. With the top or face board over hanging enough to screw a side or waist board to each side. Now the saddle is made entirely of 2x wood. Kinda looks like an inverted old style wood miter box. Slips on and off easily and leaves no gap between wood and anvil

Is that you Chuck?

Welcome aboard.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location you'll find folk living close enough to get together with. That and I won't have to try remembering who's where when I'm traveling, I never know when I might want to take a warm nap or have a hot lunch.

Frosty

Frosty,

The Finger Lakes of western NY in the fall are about the most beautiful place on the planet, and naps and lunches can surely be provided, I have 3 decks depending on what you want to look at, 4 rockers, and a couple gravity chairs with springs, my wife and I believe in providing restful places where a fellow blacksmithing addict can rest their weary mind and recharge. You can take a walk in the woods, have a go at the shooting range or run the quads around, or throw rocks into the pond, and ponder your naval, all worthy of restful contemplation. Door open bro.