I Forge Iron

Layout

What do you guys use to layout a railing panel? Just looking for different ideas.

I haven't been commisioned yet but I've seen a few different ways. I have access to recycled 42" by 36" sheets of paper. I use that to draw 1 to 1 scale on. Been tempted to draw designs in autocad and plot them out but that would incur more cost and I haven't run into anything I couldn't draw with a pencil yet.

I know a couple guys that have huge welding tables (1" thick 4' wide and 8' long) who use soapstone to draw and fabricate on.

I've seen a very talented blacksmith artist use sharpies and plywood

"Backyard Blacksmith" author says she uses concrete shop floor and chalk

Steel bench, or sheet of thin steel, with chalk or soapstone, and if I want a more lasting layout, line it with ink correction fluid or a paint pen.

A master drawing on paper can be made and this transferred onto the steel sheet/bench for working to. This can then be archived for future use.

In the shop that I work at we have metal tables and we draw out the railing in full scale. I use pathagorous theorem to figure slopes and angles and such, plus it is just a good way to cross check measurements taken at the job site. But I guess I got of topic. At home I use concrete or a piece of plywood.