I Forge Iron

Cross-peen hammer

MetalMuncher

Hey guys, I need some info or some tips. I want to thin out my blades a bit, because they are pretty thick. I use truck leaf springs for all of my blades, steel here is pretty expensive, and the springs seem to work great. I just need to know if a cross peen hammer will work. Have you ever seen Tai Goo's knives? With the kind of socket handle? I also want to make those and was wondering if the cross peen hammer will do. I will post a picture of the hammer I'm talking about. Thanks for your help.

9395.attach

Think of hot metal as fresh cow poop!
If you jump into it with both feet, it will spread everywhere - This is the same as hitting the hot steel with the flat face of the hammer on the anvil face.

If, however, you throw a branch into the cow poop, it spreads 180 degrees - either side of the stick.
The stick is like the horn on your anvil or the cross peen of your hammer. In blacksmithing terminology, we call this division of material fullering. A chisel is a fuller - all-be-it a sharp one.

The cross peen in your picture is too sharp - by a lot!
I consider my cross peen reasonably sharp and it measures 3/8 inch across the peen. My peen is slightly crowned with the corners relieved.

All this can be achieved with an angle grinder and a flap disc - just be careful not to pull any color (effect the temper of the hammer).

Thanks Mark, once again here to give me answers. The cow poop analogy was pretty good man. So I dull my hammer a bit? Sounds like a plan. I just needed one more thing, and I didnt want to start a whole new thread for it. I just need to know if a car spring(the coil ones) are any good for knives, or just for tools.I have a nice one and wanted to make a knive for a buddy of mine. Just need to know if I bother or not. And if its oil quenching or not. Thanks dudes!!

MM; why don't you visit over at the Primal Fires forums and ask Tai himself how he does it.

He hangs out there pretty frequently.

My favorite peen hammer looks like someone welded a 1" diameter rodd to it to make the peen---no cold shuts but still works great! (it wasn't welded though it was forged out that way.)

One thing pops out on your post. Start with thinner springs to begin with Seek a source for light truck or car springs. An yes some coil springs work great. When I forge anything I try and start with the right shape and size to begin with. In a city such as yours there is likely a spring shop that can make a leaf spring for just about any vehicle. If so they will likely haf short pieces,(drops) that they pay someone to haul away. It will be new steel and they can give you the formula for correct heat treating for that specific metal.

Hey hey!! jimbob, that is a great link, thanks man. I wouldnt want to bother Tai, hes probably got alot on his hands. I have been looking for thinner springs, but the ones I find are usually pretty rusted out. And down here no one knows what kind of steel they are. So coils will work....awsome...I have a really good one.Thanks dudes!!!!

Hey hey!! jimbob, that is a great link, thanks man. I wouldnt want to bother Tai, hes probably got alot on his hands. I have been looking for thinner springs, but the ones I find are usually pretty rusted out. And down here no one knows what kind of steel they are. So coils will work....awsome...I have a really good one.Thanks dudes!!!!

Check out the rest of the links on ABANA and join up good group of people
the take look at BIG BLU http://www.bigbluhammer.com/products/blacksmith_hammers.shtml
and the Hammer http://www.hammersource.com/
and as Glenn says look at the Hofi style here on IFI Edited by jimbob