I Forge Iron

metal cutting band saw

Fellow members and blacksmithaholics,
I just busted my cheap chinese metal cutting bandsaw, and it will take 8-10 weeks for the replacement part. I have had second thoughts about ever buying another cheap bandsaw, and now I need your advice. For a hobbyist blacksmith such as myself, I need a reliable metal cutting bandsaw, price is only a part of the issue, I'm tired of dealing with a piece of crap, so the question is,what bandsaw should I buy? I use it to precut christopher crosses a lot, and several other small projects, and now the rolled rose napkin ring I posted on the other part of this site, I ended up using a hacksaw today.,, no mass production, but I need this advice, where to get it, what style etc.... obviously how much, thanks for you time.

I have an ancient Kalamazoo 610D, its a very heavy duty machine, my father-in-law got it at a school auction for 100$ it needs a ton of work, but it cuts. If you can find a older american made saw, and get lucky or put a bit of work it to it. Once you get it up and running it should last a long time;-) I have the same old blade that came with it, and I cut H13 all the time. If I spent more time it would even cut straight;-)

I have a Wilton 7"x12" horizontal cut off bandsaw that works quite well for me. MSC retails them for around $1,150, but often has them on sale in the $900 range. The clamp angles 45 degrees, if you need to cut an angled end on a picket or rail. It comes with a coolant system, although you don't have to use it. It also has and adjustable feed. I believe that they're imported from Asia, but it seems to be pretty well made.

Are you in a hurry? If so, and you want a nice one you're going to spend some money. Probably in the 1000 range. If not, start snooping craigslist, ebay, etc.etc. I found a 1942 kalamazoo that has a 125" blade and will cut up to 8x16 for $500. I replaced the top bearings and had the motor gone through. I fully expect it to last me the rest of my life. Easy (relatively) to tune and cuts like a dream. I had been on the verge of buying a jet or something similar, but am glad I waited. Oh yea, and as someone else already mentioned... Those portabands are really handy. Mike-hr has one and uses it all the time as a small vertical saw. Real handy.

I use a real old kalamazoo I got out of a scrap pile. It has been desperate for a tuneup for about 5 years now, but works every day with only very occasional attention from a dead blow hammer. A friend runs an "Ellis" saw. I have used it, a good machine, still made in USA, can be used in vertical position, good customer support. I will buy one of these should this kalamazoo ever kick it.

I have an echeapo horizontal from harbour freight, that cost me 50.00 it uses a 59" blade and have had no problems with it, been using it for 4 years, and it was 4 years old when I got it! it will cut a 4"x6" piece of steel, just not really fast!! And I use it more for a cut off saw than anything else/Selden

Welcome aboard BC, good to have ya.

If you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location those of us in your neighborhood can invite ourselves over for dinner. :rolleyes: Heck, some of us might even be helpful.

Frosty