I Forge Iron

I need a good bladesmith who knows his stuff

tobigforyou

I need a Machete like the one you see on this video:

YouTube - Survival Zone: Jungle: Machete

I need a WORKING replica(because I am going to use it:) )

What drew me to this specific machete are the distinct holes in the blade.

GREAT FOR CUTTING DOWN THE WEIGHT.
(also not to much, because you still need a heavy blade for cutting thick stuff)

those holes were probably made using a waterjet cutter.

The steel that should be used, is a steel resistant to rust(it's pretty wet over there) and something that can keep it's edge for a long time.

so High Caron, Stainless would be right I think.

and also the handle..CANNOT BE WOOD. it will rot.
or crack over time, because of the weather.

IF ANYBODY IS INTERESTED, JUST GIVE ME A PRICE ESTIMATE.

Don't pull out your hammer and anvil yet, It might take me sometime to save up, I just want to know how much you guys can make one of these for.

Those look a little bit like whats on this link to me. The holes probably wont take an abundant amount of weight off either, so I would jsut do without them. Also, a machete that I've bought, and I love it, is my Meyerco/Camp USA 22" machete. Good rubber grip, and it has a saw blade on the back.

heres the first link with a similar machete:KUKRI MACHETES
and heres the meyerco:20670 - 22" Machete, Sheath, Warranty

Those look good. but I was looking for a more handmade blade, by a blade smith.
I read some poor reviews about this Cold Steel Machete.

and it is not enough weight, at only 16oz or .9 pounds(not even one pound!)

I was looking for a more handmade thing, thicker blade, sharper, quality.

because I am really going to take this into the Jungle, I just want the best.
The Amazon is something you do not want to cut corners in.

16oz IS one pound,

5160H won't rust too fast, and I could do you one for $350 in this, plus shipping to where ever you are, Assuming its legal to send it to you there. You did not state where you are.

I won't bother with the holes as they will only add places to hold moisture and cause rust, I do warranty my work.

I don't do Stainless, Making this out of stainless isn't the real trouble, as much as heat treat for stainless that will hold an edge will add a hundred or more to the cost, plus the cost of good blade quality SS would make this a very high dollar blade.

Full Tang Combat Bolo KUKHRI Sword Knife Sharp Sheath - eBay (item 330283007983 end time Nov-03-08 17:08:41 PST)
That was the closest I could find to the one in the video. The handle is wood, but that is easily replaced. It seems to be a cheapy from overseas and I don't know about the quality. I agree with you about having a better blade hand forged by a pro. If I was in the jungle, I don't think I would trust a blade that I bought for $10. That being said, I just wanted to point out the one I found on Ebay because it looked really similar in design.

its not worth cutting out the holes for weight reduction, particularly as the one in the video has them removed in exactly the wrong place. thats why chetes have a bulbous head on them to add weight where its supposed to be. Stainless would be way more trouble than its worth, you should get used to the idea that you need to dry it after use, oil it when possible and be ready for oxidation that is sure to come.

What are you going to be doing in the amazon? If your flying over and this is just for emergencies then you need one thing if your hiking the length of it then you need something else. 350$ is a good price for a custom functional chopper.

What are you going to be doing in the amazon? If your flying over and this is just for emergencies then you need one thing if your hiking the length of it then you need something else. 350$ is a good price for a custom functional chopper.

A Missionary, A helicopter will only go so far, it's really dense jungle there, you gotta go on foot for weeks at a time.

hopefully I would like to preach to the newly contacted tribes there, that have never heard about the Gospel.

I wont go to the non contacted ones(first contact is never good, hostile natives, our diseases would kill them etc.)

but there are a few that have had recent contact with the outside world. those are safer, for them and for us.

and to get to them you gotta go through the jungle.

buy a couple of machetes for you to take and if you want to be real popular take a bunch of cheap pocket knives with you and give them out. i did that in Belize, not as a missionary as a student of ecology, made a lot of friends and I learned alot in the process.

The best machete I have is one that was given to me as a gift from a man who I helped send to El Salvador for a missions trip. The description that was passed to me of the culture there is such that it not uncommon to see men women and children all carrying their machete through town just as many of us in the US keep a pocket knife. He brought me back a machete that would have been a daily used version (not the novelty chromed souvenir type) very simple design. It is twice as nice to use as the local garden, hardware, or military surplus versions I have used from the US...

I would suggest that price wise you will find that any area of the world where a machete is needed for daily life will tend to be a good place to purchase one as well. Simple easy design and a tool that can stand up to truly hard use is nearly always what you will find.

The picture looks as identical to mine as I can find except mine has a black handle. Available for about $40 US dollars.

9390.attach

Lotsa bushes have been whacked with $10 machetes. I would spend more on good shoes and camp gear before I spent $350 on a garden tool. Ever swing a machete for 8-10 hours a day? You quickly learn why a distal taper is critical on a machete. Collins used to make a good one but I think they are out of business.