I Forge Iron

Perfect shop setup then it all changes.

How many others have this problem, that your shop has to have several purposes. I built My new shop my self over a period of 5 years, it is 16"X 26" with a full second floor ( you can see the process in the member gallery under Dave M ). At the time it seemed huge but once you have the space your stuff just seems to multiply:rolleyes:. I finely got it set up so it had great working flow and then I went out and bought a old farm tractor for use around the shop and house and it needs more work then I thought:mad:. You know what that means I had to move every thing in the shop around to make room for it. I hope this is a short term thing but it just seems like every time things start going smooth in the shop there is some set back. Well I am off to find some cheese for my whine.:D oh and to find a muffler for a 1977 Romanian built tractor.

Gee Dave. You built what seemed a more than large enough shop only to find yourself cramped before it was even quite finished.

I built a 30' x 40' shop and it was crowded before I got the roof on it. I know my experience is not only not singular but pretty much the norm, though most guys at least get the roof on before it's packed. Still. . .

So, why pray tell, should you be any different? :rolleyes:

Frosty

There is simply one correct solution to your problem: It sounds like you have a shop with too much equipment & tools - I, on the other hand, have a shop that NEEDS equipment & tools. I think you know the answer. I'm looking for a fly press, air hammer, milling machine..etc.

Let me know if you need my shipping address!!:D:D

Mike

The only possible solution is to build an annex to this shop. This annex will be the "Tractor Annex". This annex will in short order be filled with all of the necessary items to keep the tractor in running condition, i.e., spare tires, mufflers, oil, transmission fluid, gear grease, gannon, disk, harrow, front end loader, etc. Now after all of this is in the annex you will of discover that it is full and there is now no room for said tractor. Now comes the tricky part, convincing the wife for the need of another annex to the shop for the tractor.:cool:

now Im not positive this the mandatory usage but I think it goes

Shop>Annex (east) > Annex East extension > Annex East extension exterior storage shed
Shop>Annex (west) > Annex West extension >Annex West extension exterior storage shed
Shop>Annex (north) > Annex North extension > Annex North extension exterior storage shed
Shop>Annex (south) > Annex South Extension > Annex South Extension exterior storage shed
Shop > Basement > Sub-basement > Dungeon > Root Cellar
Shop > Upstairs shop > Mezzanine > Loft > Garret > Attic > Dirigible landing platform :P

of course not being currently domesticated its simpler here
shop kitchen, shop bedroom, shop living room ect :p

When we moved out here to a "house with no shop" my wife promised that I would get a shop when our old house sold. Meanwhile I took possession of an abandoned short bus, (partially converted for a small rock band that abandoned it while on tour when it failed in Socorro NM, 10+ years later the people who the band had crashed with were moving and had to get rid of it...)

This was done with malice aforethought so we would have a place for the camping equipment, the yard tools, etc that would have ended up in my "shop" of course.

It's a constant fight to keep non-shop stuff out of the shop!