I Forge Iron

Power hammer, hammer eye punch die?

This is still a WIP.

Some notes about this

1) still not welded together

2) still needs more grinding on the base of the punch as its currently not sitting straight

3) the handle and sacrifice plate are still in need of alot of grinding to clean up. Also might add another length to the handle via welding. I misjudged how much metal I would have.

4) S7 is the punch metal, and mild steel is the sacrifice plate and handle. 

5) I will preheat the S7 Punch before welding to the mild steel

6) tip of punch is .61 inch

Base of punch is 1.21 inch

7) this is as close to perfectly round as my naked eye can get it from the tip to half to the base

Total length is approximately 1.75 inchs.

Looking for suggestions on what else i should do to improve this. 

PXL_20240323_211155729.jpg

PXL_20240323_211149322.jpg

PXL_20240323_211144522.jpg

I would make the punch completely cone shaped down to the weld. That way you don’t end up going to far with the hammer and end up with an odd shaped hole.

Keep it fun,

David

3 hours ago, Ridgeway Forge Studio said:

I would try to make that pyramid into a triangle- lose the cubic dimension, so that it is rectangular in a top-down view, a triangle from the side. Usually you punch then drift- it looks like your idea is more punch drift combo

Kind of the idea I was going for. End stage is this is punched and drifted, then squish the sides a bit of the hammer to make the eye a bit more oblong (oval) and fine tune the side walls and balance of the hammer with a hand driven drift. 

21 hours ago, mnidoone said:

I mean to be perfectly honest, I'm in the dumb stage of blacksmithing. I'm trying to reinvent the wheel to see if something new might work. 

I'm also enjoying the creativity of it. I enjoy failing if I learn something new. I still have enough S7 right now to try and recreate this 2 more times in different variations. 

But this design inevitably is a variation of a hammer eye punch design I saw from Torborn Ahman on youtube. His was more narrow and more akin to a center punch. Perfectly cylindrical in its taper. But as i started working in the octagon I wondered if this might work as it is. Best worse case I cut the welds, and work it down thinner. 

Worse worse case I'm out a chunk of S7 and learned a new valuable lesson. 

Nobody's born knowing this stuff or anything, we all began at zero, welcome to the club. I take exception to your "dumb stage" comment though, not knowing something isn't dumb, it's ignorant. Ignorance can be fixed easy as learning but dumb is forever.  To paraphrase R. A. Heinlein, "Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is it's own death sentence." Something like that. 

Most of us took up the craft because we like making things with our own hands and creativity is a MUST to be any good at it. I get a little ego boost from being able to shape steel like modeling clay and have always been comforted by knowing I could make most of what I need with a fire something hard and heavy to beat against, something to beat with and whatever steel I find. 

As a young kid I saw Paladin on "Have Gun Will Travel" stranded by bandits on the prairie with nothing. He came too and started searching, he finds the remains of a wagon train and sets about making survival gear, fire, makes pancakes from flour and water, moccasins from canvas and forges himself a knife and dart points from scrounged iron from a wagon. He makes an atlatl a few steel tipped darts and goes hunting for his horses and gear.

I've never liked the idea of being helpless. 

Frosty The Lucky.

When you're in the learning stage, it's worthwhile to try out what others have done before reinventing the wheel. Torbjörn and Brent Bailey both use round punches and then drift to shape for a reason: it's much easier to align the drift in an already-punched hole than it is to get the alignment perfect the first time (especially under the power hammer). Also, it's easier to release a round with a quick tap-and-twist if it gets stuck.