I Forge Iron

On 3/7/2024 at 6:51 AM, Scott NC said:

watched "Mysterious Island", but in that one the Nautilus was already built but worn out broke down

Oh sorry I meant his first secret island, the one in 20000 leagues under the sea

where he built it but at the end of the movie he planted explosives to destroy the submarine base and stop the technology from falling into the hands of the bad guys,

I suppose Captain Nemo probably had a few secret islands hanging around, i forgot about his second secret island in that movie

The books were better. In particular, "The Mysterious Island" has an extensive description of the castaways smelting iron from ore they find on the island and then forging progressively more sophisticated tools.

I’ve read 20000 under the sea several times but it’s been over a decade ago since the last time I read it,

I plan to re read it soon, I’m currently working my way through the complete Sherlock Holmes collection and as soon as I’m done with that my next books were going to be treasure island and 20000 leagues under the sea 

We are getting secret island and treasure mixed up.  One island and second secret treasure.  I was just trying to work an all important chainsaw into how to get to the secret island to dig up Cooks second treasure.

Books are always better.  Billy, read "From The Earth To The Moon", by Verne.  The furnaces built to create the cannon to shoot them off on their way is worth it alone.  Pouring the cannon walls.....  Don't watch the movie though.  The human imagination, unlimited,  is why movies are always worse.

I will bow out until the dust settels.... again.

Sounds good to me, it's been so long it'll be like reading new stories! I'm looking for something new to listen to and I loved those, maybe binge Jules and listen to "From The Earth To The Moon" too. Ahhh, The Gun Club! I already have "The Time Machine", listened to it maybe early Covid. 

Oh come ON Scott! It's a Jules Verne, (Father of Steam Punk) chain saw, it not only has fold out paddle wheels and propeller it has fold out bicycle wheels and a seat. Frosty probably fell faster than expected and couldn't get Scarab's, "the Fly Mobile" wings unfolded in time. 

A fun thing that the authorities put a stop to years ago was to use a chainsaw to pull you across frozen lates on a runner sled. You had to have a feather touch or get a running start to get moving but once you did you could go terrifyingly FAST. Lay down on the sled and lay the chainsaw chain as flat on the ice in front of you as you can and ease on the throttle.  Should've had someone pace us in a car and see how fast the ride was. Parks, Troopers, and other's REALLY frowned on the idea of people with chainsaws taking rocket rides across public lates.

Spoil sports!

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes it’s been a long time, and it does seem like new stories, 

I’m still only Less then half way through Sherlock Holmes though so it will be a bit before I switch over to reading some nautical novels,

I used to read nonstop when I was younger so I decided a couple weeks ago to start reading all the classic adventure tales again 

I decided to start with the complete Sherlock Holmes, reading a few chapters every evening, So far I’ve made it completely through

A Study In Scarlet, The Sign Of The Four,

all twelve short stories in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes 

and have made it through the first two short stories in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, 

I start the stockbrokers clerk tonight 

it’s funny I remembered a few things so far here an there but it really has been like reading it all over for the first time 

Dad sent me a complete unabriged Sherlock Holmes, when I was in the Navy.  He new I liked it.  There is a book of some unpublished stories as well as a lot of other insider stuff on Doyle and why he wanted to kill off Holmes, but I will have to find it on the shelves or look it up.  

There is an old black and white British movie series on Holmes on youtube.  Google: "The Careless Sufferegete".  If you can watch "Boris Turgof The Anarchist" in that episode without cracking a smile or laugh let me know.  It's a half hour watch.