I Forge Iron

15th Century German Post Vise

JHCC

While browsing the website of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, I encountered this rather delightful German post vise:

1931-30-38a-ov.thumb.jpg.37ce91ee55cecf83a0e7f5a1e9fdadf5.jpg

Apart from its artistic extravagance, it's interesting to note that it's not adjusted with a handle on the front, but by tightening and loosening the nut on the back.

Here's the link to its page on the museum website: https://www.philamuseum.org/collection/object/44387. Interesting to note that it appears to have come from Samuel Yellin's personal collection.

Two possible advantages of the rear nut adjustment dould be that (1) the grotesque face is fully exposed for admiration and (2) you don't have the handle in the way in front.  You would have had to have a big honking wrench close at hand to operate the jaws.  Maybe it was made for someone who was wealthy but wanted his shop to be "artistic."  Hammers would have had animal heads on them and tongs would have had jaws that were real animal jaws and fancy finials on the ends of the reins.  Basically, everything would be for how it looked rather than how well it worked.  Sort of like Marie Antionette and her ladies dressing up as rustic "milk maids."

GNM 

I'm with you on your thoughts on the rear nut, a handle in front would've pretty much ruined the art of it. As for a big honkin wrench, that's what helpers are for. Boy, loosen the vise! 

An old acquaintance, Elmer Roash (sp?) made tools with a similar flair. He brought a couple hammers to a gathering a couple decades ago, the cross pein was not only pattern welded, the head was chased as a head and and face the colors fit the face. "Just playing around you know, they're not for sale."

I love this kind of thing, thanks for the link.

Frosty The Lucky.