I Forge Iron

Offset tong search

Natedoggg

Hello all-

I just discovered the best size mild steel bar for me to work with. But I cannot seem to find offset tongs to hold it. It’s 3/8”x3/4”. All the offset tongs that I can find are only 1/4”. I have tried to use those, but they don’t hold very well, especially longer lengths.

does anybody know where to find some or how to modify existing without weakening the jaws?

Thanks in advance-

N

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

Tongs are made to be adjustable. If you heat them to orange and adjust them to hold your stock should not weaken the jaws. Maybe post a picture of the tongs would help and letting us know where in the world you are located, there may be someone close enough to advise you with hands on.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Good Morning Nate,

You can purchase off-set tongs from most of the well known Blacksmith suppliers.

OR, You can make your own.

OR, You can modify any tongs you already own, to fit.

OR, You can pick up some second hand Farrier Nipper/Pull-Off's/whatever you call them and weld on some jaws you wish, where you wish, how you wish.

There are no Blacksmith Police. How ever is handy for you to solve your riddle, is perfectly OK.

Enjoy the freedom.  If you put your area in your avatar we will have a better idea how to help you.

Neil

I would suggest you learn to make tongs. "need a tool, make a tool". To start doing that i would suggest getting tong blanks, that will get you headed in the direction of forming the jaws, setting the rivet, and aligning the reigns to your liking. Then progress to making the boss and drawing out or (my preferred method) welding on the reigns. If you choose to use the forge that will also give you more experience in forge welding. 

A couple years ago i made a post on my method of making V-bit gooseneck tongs. I was asked to do a series of photos on how to do something at work and i used this forum to practice getting it right. But those can easily be modified into off-set tongs. In the post i used 1" x 1/2" flat bar but i was making some heavy tongs for hold bigger material. That can also be modified to your need. I also do not do the 45* offset in the boss but align the jaws and reigns after riveting. I do that cuase it seems not matter how much i try i always make right handed tongs instead of left when i do the 45* upset. Just easier for me.  Now how to find that post i have no clue other than to just scroll through them till i get to it. Then posting a link to it is another hurdle i have not overcome either. I am not a very computer savvy person so another here that is may be able to help. 

Anyway welcome aboard have fun and stay safe. 

48 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

how to find that post

If you look up in the blue banner, you will see activity. Click/tap that and another drops down, my activity streams and content I started, either one will let you find your stuff.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

3/8" x 3/4" is an excellent stock size for tongs though 3/8" x 1" gives you more to work with.

It makes the whole process almost all isolating and drawing down with one punched or drilled hole. Yeah, one drilled hole I clamp the halves together and drill them at the same time to match them.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, the last 2 sets of tongs i made were made with 3/8" round bar. I was working on some small fiddly things and did not have tongs small enough. Those i did punch and drift the hole but that was just becuase i figured that small i wanted to keep as much mass as possible. 

Yeah, nothing breaks tongs like too thin or small a boss. Punching removes steel like drilling though less if you drift to final size. I've drifted holes starting with an acutely ground "center" punch and drifted to size with long tapered punches, it hardly removes any material but boy did it screw up my punches. Good thing they were garage/yard/etc. sale punches. When I went to yard, garage, etc. sales with Deb it was hard to come home without coffee cans full of punches and chisels, seems everybody buys the bundles and only actually uses one. . . Once.

Back on topic, another way to arrive at strong bosses is to upset the stock at the boss first step.

Frosty The Lucky.

My slot punches started out as chisels from garage sales. 

Most of my punches are Snap-on. I got a good deal on a punch and chisel set a few years back. They seem to hold up quite well when used on hot metal.