I Forge Iron

Can you use an Acetylene Regulator on a Propane Cylinder?

The regulator is fine. The hose needs to be type "T". Type "T" is suitable for ALL gasses, where as type "R" is for acetylene only.
You also must use cutting tips designed for propane. Standard tips allow propane to burn up into the tip. Propane tips are usually 2 piece, but will fit on standard handles.
I do use standard brazing tips with no problems.

Thanks for the replies/info.

No, not planning on gas-welding with it. Was looking for a regulator to use for a Propane Forge Furnace. Was looking for an AVCO "Red Hat" regulator.

Looked at Airgas's Welding Supply website (as there is one of there stores nearby) and "searched" for a "Propane Regulator."

This was what they offered:

0000006%5Ct047_r07545_v6.jpg

Radnor® By Harris® Model 25-50C-510P Fuel Gas/Propane Regulator With CGA510 - Airgas.com

It is $69, probably hose sold separately. Pondered wether I could simply use my Acetylene regulator instead of buying a new unit.

Wonder if any local (to me) supplier sells the Red Hat propane regulator? If I can find one, what is the price (typically?)

i worked in a scrap yard years ago and we used Acetylene Regulators and hoses all the time (on propane)new and used the hoses did get spongy after some time but usally ended up cuting hose befor any problems and some of the regulators hook right up to the tank butmy Acetylene Regulator is for the big acetylene tanks so maybe thats why they fit never had a problem