I Forge Iron

pictures of my shop

That's an awfully clean shop Tom.

How do you like your gas forge sitting so close to the ground? I notice you have it tipped back to see in.

I like mine mounted just about breast pocket level. It lets me see inside from anywhere within sight, puts the end outside the fire in easy view so folk (myself included) are less likely to trip and most of the dragon's breath is already above face level so I almost never get singed.

All round it's a nice looking set up, even being way too clean. :rolleyes:

Frosty

Hi Frosty, I just happened to have the stand for the forge at that height and I never really thought any different simply because I don't know any better. It seems to work ok though. Would you like me to mess up my shop for you?

Actually, rather than messing up yours how about coming over and neatening up mine? ;)

It'd be a good opportunity to see how you like a forge mounted as high as mine is. We could also swap other valuable information and good repeatable lies.

The invite's serious, if you or anyone get to my neck of the planet I'd be honored by a visit.

Frosty

My anvil stand is too high but I bought the stand for a good price but it is as low as it will go. I need a good stump about 21-23 inches.

Anvil stand is not too high, your not standing tall enough. So, figure out the difference and build a platform that height. Adjust as needed. Once you have the right height figured out, trim the stump.

When I started getting interested in smithing I was given a book by an old smith who helped me get started. Little did I ever think there would be a correct height for your anvil to be set at.The book explained that the correct height should be equal to the distance from the floor to a closed fist with you standing strait up with your hands to your side. If your anvil is is at the correct height you should be able to take a pine board and place it on your anvil and strike it with you hammer and leave a full imprint of your hammer.If mounted to high you will leave the imprint of the half of your hammer nearest to you to low the half away for you. If you miss the board the height isn't the problem.Little did I know then that this is such a skilled science and sometimes trial and error.

Anvil height is a personal thing. The knuckle height is in a few blacksmithing books, but isn't necessarily what will suit you best. From my experience, I have learned that if you are usually wailing away with great intensity on stock, the knuckle height may be fine, but if you are working with a bit more finesse, you might want your anvil a bit higher. Mine is several inches above knuckle height. It serves my wrist, shoulder and back much better than when it was lower.

IMHO... It all depends upon what type of work you are doing...

Setting the anvil to knuckle height appears in most books written before the current resurgence of blacksmithing. The ones that concern us as comparitively small time operations used strikers. The smith rarely worked alone like we do and had helpers available. Knuckle height is just right for striking with a sledge.

More recent books suggest setting the anvil to wrist height seeing as most of us don't have helpers available to strike for us. Using modern materials and fab tech we can build our own striker and not have to feed or house him.

What I've found from personal experience using anvils set at different heights is between knuckle and wrist height is excellent for me, I don't have to adjust my stance at all. If the anvil is set much above or below that range I have to tighten or widen my stance to work properly.

One minor correction, Set too high and you heel the hammer, (strike with the close edge) too low and you toe it. (strike with the far edge) I don't know if anyone else uses the terms heel and toe but I haven't run into anyone who didn't get it right off.

All in all you have to set your anvil where it works for you. On the other hand being able to do good work when the equipment isn't perfectly set up is an advantage.

Frosty

Anvil height is a personal thing. The knuckle height is in a few blacksmithing books, but isn't necessarily what will suit you best. From my experience, I have learned that if you are usually wailing away with great intensity on stock, the knuckle height may be fine, but if you are working with a bit more finesse, you might want your anvil a bit higher. Mine is several inches above knuckle height. It serves my wrist, shoulder and back much better than when it was lower.

IMHO... It all depends upon what type of work you are doing...

actly...
"It all depends on what type of work you are doing".
I have my 269 lb. set on a black walnut stump at knuckle hight.
The 92 lb. Peter Wright is set higher, maybe 4" higher on a "stump" fabbed from pressure treated 6" x 6"s glued up into a 12" x 12" that I find much nicer to work on with smaller stuff and lighter hammers.
Lean over in an unnatural position while working for too long and it starts to feel too much like work...
"Whatever feels comfortable and gets good results"... Dan:)