I Forge Iron

Iron Hand

I guess this is the most appropriate topic for this.  I still think we need a Historical Ironwork topic for old, non-blade, iron work, e.g. grates, hinges, locks, sculpture, etc..

Here is a link to an article on a 15th century prosthetic iron hand found in Bavaria:

https://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/68609

I find it interesting that iron was the material of choice for prothetics, particularly non-articulated ones.  If it was non-functional I would have thought that something like painted leather would have been a better choice.  Maybe leather would not have been resistant enough for things like looping reins over it or holding down paper while writing.  It does appear that this man had all or part of his thumb which needed something fairly solid to articulate against.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks for the link George it's a great way to start the day! A search for "Medeival prosthetic hands" hit on images. One is of a knight's Goetz Iron Hand (something similar anyway) in tact prosthetic. 

Very interesting subject and there's quite a bit out there. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 10/28/2023 at 9:50 AM, George N. M. said:

I find it interesting that iron was the material of choice for prothetics, particularly non-articulated ones.  If it was non-functional I would have thought that something like painted leather would have been a better choice.

The prosthetic hand of Jean Danjou (the most cherished artifact of the French Foreign Legion) was made of wood by Danjou himself. One wonders what he used as a hand while making his hand.

6 minutes ago, Scott NC said:

Can you imagine a cannon ball blowing your hand off?

Yes, because I have a very active imagination (and have sustained my fair share of rather painful injuries). 

Yes, it is. I was just watching a documentary about it the other day, following a group of recruits through intake and basic training and another group going through their notoriously difficult jungle warfare training course in French Guiana. The instructor for the latter group was a particularly interesting character. 

I love adventure.  I think maybe if I was younger I would actualy try something like that.  Right before I got out of the Navy I was offered to go to the Seals but I had to run back home instead.  I know, a voice on the internet.  What was the documentary?

Yes, the Legion Etrangere (Foreign Legion) is till an active part of the French armed forces.  Here is a link to a You Tube video of a detachment on parade in Paris a few years ago.  The guys with the axes and leather aprons are the pioneers who traditionally lead the assault to cut a way through the obstacles for the infantry.  They always lead in parades.  Also, pioneers tradionally wear beards.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you John.  I'll have to pass on something like that.  The old grey mule just ain't what he used to be.  It was fun to warch though.

On 11/2/2023 at 8:32 AM, Daswulf said:

I don't know why, this made me think of inspector Kemp from Young Frankenstein. 

I love how he lights his cigar.  There was a movie once where the actor stuck a knife in his wooden leg to hold it, while peeling and eating apples.

I was seeing interchangeable hook and needle fingers. Edwena Crochet Hook Hands. 

You know George your thought brings another vision to me. A titanium HULK hand holding the hooks and needles.

This is getting fun!

Frosty The Lucky.

An Off Hand, remark Scott? 

One of the guys in high school had a glass eye and he'd take it out to creep people out. The glass eye wasn't so bad but when he'd open his left eye the empty socket was . . . the memory still creeps me out.

Frosty The Lucky.

The late actor Peter Falk wore a glass eye from childhood onwards. Once, after getting called out sliding into third during a high school baseball game, he took his eye out, handed it to the umpire, and said, "Here, you need this more than I do!"