I Forge Iron

Muffler for Self Contained PH

Now the proud owner of a 2002 SayHa SSM-50.

I want to put a muffler on the exhaust (outside wall exit). These aren't really noisy hammers to begin with but with mufflers shop noises are greatly decreased.

They come with a lawn mower style muffler which I don't think do a very good job as owners I've seen have removed them and installer larger mufflers (motorcycle/car sized).

I don't think the moisture content and lifecycle of the muffler is a big deal but I'm curious if there are considerations as to mufflers for power hammers like moisture (rust out, toxic chemicals, etc.) or will just any old muffler do? 

Sincerely;

Over thinking it in North Carolina. :D

My only thought would be whether the back pressure into the pneumatic system of the hammer will cause any problems.  I know it can for internal combustion engines but a compressed air system is different.  This is only an intellectual thought.  I have no experience with air hammers.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I’ve not used he SayHa self contained hammers, but on my Anyang, you can close the air off completely with you hand while it’s running. It doesn’t seem to affect it at least at idle, but I would not recommend blocking it. If your hammer has the same type of air line lubrication, you should probably look for a mist collector/separator. After running mine for a while, I can see the oil mist in the exhaust and I really need to fix that to keep the shop cleaner, not to mention my lungs!

Keep it fun,

David

2 hours ago, George N. M. said:

My only thought would be whether the back pressure into the pneumatic system of the hammer will cause any problems.  I know it can for internal combustion engines but a compressed air system is different.  This is only an intellectual thought.  I have no experience with air hammers.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Good point and I'm in the same boat; I don't know. All the SayHa I've seen (4 :-)) and the one I now own had mufflers on them. That's all I've got to go on.

1 hour ago, Goods said:

I’ve not used he SayHa self contained hammers, but on my Anyang, you can close the air off completely with you hand while it’s running. It doesn’t seem to affect it at least at idle, but I would not recommend blocking it. If your hammer has the same type of air line lubrication, you should probably look for a mist collector/separator. After running mine for a while, I can see the oil mist in the exhaust and I really need to fix that to keep the shop cleaner, not to mention my lungs!

Keep it fun,

David

No intention of blocking the exhaust; would never cross my mind. I hadn't thought of coll/sep though so I'll look into that although I'm going to vent to the outdoors (please don't tell Greta). Agreed, no oil mist in the shop.

One old school muffler was to tie a canvas sack over the exhaust port. An oil separator for something like this is pretty easy, plumb a vertical down pipe with a T at the bottom and if it's a slobbery hammer another length of pipe aiming down as the oil trap. A short nipple plumbed horizontally from the T to your muffler if it needs one at all this far from the tup and valves. A couple bends should be enough but maybe a little more.

Frosty The Lucky.