I Forge Iron

Anvil ID Help

I have been beating on an anvil my boss “loaned” to me 20 years ago and I’ve decided to identify it. I am no expert but it is cast with thin metal top plate. Large (1 1/4”) hardie hole and 5/8” pritchel hole. The only clear markings is a 19 stamped in the side. I am assuming that is in ten weights for 190 lbs. There seems to be writing or dots indented above the 19. I just cannot make out a word. Looks to me like the first letter is a W. From my research I want to think it is American, but again, I’m no expert. I have pics but not sure how to post. Any ideas or research suggestions are appreciated. 

Welcome aboard Terry, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance to meet up with members living within visiting distance.

At the bottom of the text window is the button  "choose files". click on it and choose the file from your computer by double clicking on it. A thumbnail of the file will down load below the text window. click the "insert" button and it will move to the cursor's location.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. The number stamping looks like 194 to me and is the weight as manufactured. I think the word starting with the W is warranted. If you could tip the anvil and take a picture of the underside of the base, it will help in the ID. If the ring and rebound is good it really doesn't matter who made it it's good. Solving the maker mystery is fun and we will try our best.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails.

I agree with the statements above and would also be very surprised if was cast. From having handling holes and what appears to be weld seems below the horn and heal, I would put my money on it being a forged wrought iron anvil with a steel face.

(Joey van der Steeg just posted another YouTube video building up an anvil from wrought iron with a steel face, with the aid of a striker, if you curious about the process. Thanks Joey, if you see this!)

Keep it fun,

David

A big thanks to all who have replied (and welcomed me aboard). I misspoke in my original, I said cast the whole time knowing WI from the signs. Out of pocket a day or so but I will post pic of the base bottom (memory tells me it has a mouse hole) and just for giggles I will weigh it. Never have. It does ring and rebound and has served me well, I just hope to find a name. 

Have a good one…

What do you mean by "mouse hole" Terry? If you mean the square handling hole in the bottom that and the ones on the sides of the feet are to set tongs for grinding the face. 

If I misunderstood you just let me know, I'm good at misunderstanding things. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

No sweat, I've been carrying on a little personal crusade to try to standardize terminology so everybody knows what we're talking about and hopefully minimize confusion. Mouse Hole is a "brand name" like Peter Wright, etc.

No caplet in the bottom so that eliminates some brands. There are a number of anvil gurus on IFI and one of them isn't me. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think it was made by the Columbus Forge & Iron Co. or The Columbus Anvil & Forging Co, both in Columbus Ohio. Flat bottom and no serial number rules out Hay Budden & Trenton. Columbus Anvil & Forge made many of the anvils for major hardware companies and retailers like Sears & Roebuck, marketed under their own names. One Sears sold was the Acme anvil. All top notch anvils in their day.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails

I'm not a guru but Thomas Powers was and he taught me an awful lot about anvils here.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails

Here's my thinking: Weight stamped on the side below logo eliminates Trenton, made by Columbus Forge and Iron, who also made anvils for others. Lack of heavy fullering under tail eliminates Arm and Hammer made by Columbus Anvil and Forging Co., as well as lack of their distinctive logo. Dead give away for me is the presence of the hourglass indentation on the bottom which leads me to think it was made by Hay Budden of Brooklyn NY. They also made anvils for others, which is what I think we have here. Curious though, there doesn't seem to be a serial number on the front foot, unless I just can't see it. Anyway, I've been wrong before.

Steve

It's hard to see in the picture but there does appear to be a caplet in the bottom. 

Losing depth detail this way is the problem with direct lighting taking pictures. If the light source is at an angle surface details cast stronger shadows making them more visible.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't see a caplet but what may be an hour glass shape on the bottom. If so it probably will be an early German made Trenton. They had the weight stamped in the same location and had Warranted above. They also had the Trenton in the diamond above that, which may have been obliterated by hammering on it.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/63897-first-anvil-german-trenton/

I may have mistaken the word that starts with a W for warranted  Solid Wrought was on the Trenton's.

On 8/6/2023 at 9:02 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

I don't see a caplet but what may be an hour glass shape on the bottom. If so it probably will be an early German made Trenton. They had the weight stamped in the same location and had Warranted above. They also had the Trenton in the diamond above that, which may have been obliterated by hammering on it.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/63897-first-anvil-german-trenton/

I may have mistaken the word that starts with a W for warranted  Solid Wrought was on the Trenton's.

So my head is spinning a bit here. The flat bottom Trentons were made in Germany and prior to about 1898 and if the bottom were indented it would be an Americanized Trenton after same date? Sorry for bad pic but the bottom is flat.